cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Dropbox with my own domain. Is this possible?

Using Dropbox with my own domain. Is this possible?

wrwhite
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I understand tha it the past, when the Public folder functionality existed, that it was possible to have a fixed dropbox download URL that you could then redirect to your own domain name so that download link would look something like:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/XYZ/<file path>

where XYZ is your Dropbox user ID number.

You could then redirect this to you own domain using CNAME in your DNS configuration. Is this still possible? I'm specifically looking at getting a Plus account but was hoping to test first in the free account but I see that public folders are no longer available and just sharing a link does not have a common link before the file path.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No, Dropbox doesn't offer functionality like this anymore. While you could presumably still configure a CNAME like that, there isn't a way to get a predictable Dropbox root URL for sharing files. Every Dropbox shared link now uses a distinct URL.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No, Dropbox doesn't offer functionality like this anymore. While you could presumably still configure a CNAME like that, there isn't a way to get a predictable Dropbox root URL for sharing files. Every Dropbox shared link now uses a distinct URL.

wrwhite
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Greg

Thanks for your reply. That's disapointing I nearly went ahead with purchasing the Plus plan because I was told during an online chat that it was possible. Thanks for clearing it up.

Will

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

wrwhite Explorer | Level 4
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?