cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video thumbnails are not generated anymore

Video thumbnails are not generated anymore

Sergey S.10
New member | Level 1

Some days ago we found that video thumbnails are not displayed in our app. iOS app uses official cocoapod Dropbox-iOS-SDK (version 1.3.13). At some step it displays media content of user's Dropbox folders: images and videos. We get and display thumbnails for images and videos using method

-loadThumbnail:ofSize:intoPath

During last several months it worked for both videos and images, but some days ago it logs warning and return error in callback for videos:

[WARNING] DropboxSDK: error making request to /1/thumbnails/dropbox/camera uploads/.../X.mov - (415) permanent failure - this image isn't supported by thumbnailing

I understand that SDK officially should support only some image file types for files less than 20Mb. I don't understand why you turned this feature off for other file types: it was implemented and it worked well.

Please turn this feature on and officially declare this support in documentation. I can't imagine that the most famous cloud service SDK doesn't support thumbs for videos. How we should display these videos in our apps?

22 Replies 22

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

No, I don't have any news on this yet.

James K.36
New member | Level 1

Does Dropbox have any statement to release on this issue or timing?  We are seeing a 30%+ shift in files that used to come from Dropbox now coming from Google Drive by our users since this issue came up. 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the feedback James. I don't have a timeline to offer, but the team is still working on it. (There wasn't a simple fix unfortunately.)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    James K.36 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?