cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Webhooks (Dropbox Business API)

Webhooks (Dropbox Business API)

Bhavana Reddy Vanga
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

When file or folder changes in the account, Dropbox webhook sends notification to the app in the form of - 

{"list_folder": {"teams": {"dbtid:AADClDNgkem9dWq1M3thVc3K4-93Cl3zWx0": ["dbmid:AADP2xgTpjhFFOMURG5yAZTOVv2T3wkrkyY", "dbmid:AAAwp8MhW85Op96vIjatg9vPYizLr8B8O68"]}}, "delta": {"teams": {"dbtid:AADClDNgkem9dWq1M3thVc3K4-93Cl3zWx0": ["dbmid:AADP2xgTpjhFFOMURG5yAZTOVv2T3wkrkyY", "dbmid:AAAwp8MhW85Op96vIjatg9vPYizLr8B8O68"]}}}

Does "teams" in the JSON body indicate that webhook notification can come from two different teams at a time or the JSON body always contains only one team ID as key?

I even tried using multi-admin feature, so that admin can do changes in both the teams, but didn't get two team ids in the notification from webhook.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I don't believe we have any documentation or guarantee on when you might expect to see more than one team per notification unfortunately.

If/when that happens though, it would still just be signed with the same app secret for your app. A single app can be used to connect to multiple different teams. The app key/secret wouldn't change, as they're specific to the app itself, not the team. (Separately, it's the access token that identifies the particular team.)

If you do have and are using multiple different apps registered for whatever reason, and have them connected to different teams and both registered for webhook notifications, those webhook notifications would not be grouped together, and each would use the app secret for the corresponding app.

And that's correct, each team member can only be a member of one team. Each team listed in the webhook notification includes a list of member IDs that have changes in that particular team. You wouldn't see the same member ID across different teams. (Apologies the documentation is a little misleading in that regard; it's just using "member_id1", etc. as a placeholder.)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Yes, the webhooks format is designed to support multiple teams per webhook notification, so please make sure your implementation is written to handle that possibility. 

Bhavana Reddy Vanga
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Ok. Can I know in what scenario we would get multiple team ids in webhook notification?

If multiple team IDs are supported in one notification then how can we authenticate the request body, I mean what app secret should be used as signing key?

And how does this work, from what I understood till now a member can't be part of two teams at a time and even if we use multi-admin fetaure, admin of trusted team can just access admin console of team and can't do major changes of files or folders in team's content.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I don't believe we have any documentation or guarantee on when you might expect to see more than one team per notification unfortunately.

If/when that happens though, it would still just be signed with the same app secret for your app. A single app can be used to connect to multiple different teams. The app key/secret wouldn't change, as they're specific to the app itself, not the team. (Separately, it's the access token that identifies the particular team.)

If you do have and are using multiple different apps registered for whatever reason, and have them connected to different teams and both registered for webhook notifications, those webhook notifications would not be grouped together, and each would use the app secret for the corresponding app.

And that's correct, each team member can only be a member of one team. Each team listed in the webhook notification includes a list of member IDs that have changes in that particular team. You wouldn't see the same member ID across different teams. (Apologies the documentation is a little misleading in that regard; it's just using "member_id1", etc. as a placeholder.)

Bhavana Reddy Vanga
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you.

It does answer my question but I am confused how can we connect a single app to multiple different teams. In some earlier post I have read that Development Teams for an App indicates - how many times OAuth flow was executed for that app.
As multiple different teams do you mean multiple 'Business Teams' ?

Since user can be a part of only one team at a time, how can he/she connect app in their console to multiple different business teams?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Yes, when I refer to "teams", I mean Dropbox "Business teams".

The "Development Teams" number listed for your app on the ap's page on the App Console is not exactly the number of times the OAuth flow was executed for the app, but rather how many distinct teams have been connected to the app.

While any particular user account can only be a member of one team, the same app can be connected to and used by multiple different teams. The developer of the app can implement the OAuth flow to allow multiple different team admins from different teams to each connect the app to their team. The result would be multiple different teams all connected to the app, with the app receiving a different access token for each one.

Need more support?