cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why Auth.getDbxCredential method returns null after PKCE authentication (Dropbox Android JDK) ?

Why Auth.getDbxCredential method returns null after PKCE authentication (Dropbox Android JDK) ?

didouchk
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm trying to use the new authentication flow with short-live tokens and refresh tokens on  an Android App with Dropbox JDK.

I'm using the 

Auth.startOAuth2PKCE()

method which works correctly, but when I tried to access the credentials in the onResume method,

DbxCredential credential = Auth.getDbxCredential();
credential.getRefreshToken(); // NullPointerException

I get a NullPointer exception.

I'd like to access and save the refresh token to the shared prefs and resuse it to prevent the user to be logged out every 4 hours.

Why the getDbxCredential() returns null ?

Thanks for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@didouchk In addition to what Здравко said, note that there is an Android-specific example here. Make sure you're implementing the authorization flow as shown.

And if something doesn't seem to be working as expected, please reply with:

• the version numbers of the Android platform and Dropbox SDK you are using
  • the steps to reproduce the issue, including relevant code snippet(s), but don't include any access or refresh token(s)
  • the full text of any error or unexpected output

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @didouchk,

The description of your issue is not very "rich". Missing details on how you have done everything! The devil is in details. 😁

There is an authorization example for Java SDK. PKCE implementation could be seen in corresponding class. Take a look there and you can figure out what's missing in your code, I believe. 😉

Hope this helps.

@didouchk wrote:

..., but when I tried to access the credentials in the onResume method, ...

You are trying in onResume method, but is it as a result of real resume action (i.e. on authentication end)? 🤔 ... or ...?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@didouchk In addition to what Здравко said, note that there is an Android-specific example here. Make sure you're implementing the authorization flow as shown.

And if something doesn't seem to be working as expected, please reply with:

• the version numbers of the Android platform and Dropbox SDK you are using
  • the steps to reproduce the issue, including relevant code snippet(s), but don't include any access or refresh token(s)
  • the full text of any error or unexpected output

PIXIP
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm just pointing out that ALL the links here are broken since the repository changed on GitHub

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@PIXIP Thanks for the note. I've updated the links in my post.

Need more support?