cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Does Obj-C Library Code Recompile when building for release?

Why Does Obj-C Library Code Recompile when building for release?

Robert S.138
Helpful | Level 7

I noticed that when I make a change to my code and build for debug, only my code gets recompiled.  But when I build for Distribution, either for the App Store or for Ad Hoc distribution, the entire 800+ files in the Offical Objective C Dropbox Library gets recompiled.  It is not too much of a bother since I don't build for distribution that often, but it does take almost a minute on my Mac Mini, whereas by app alone takes only a few seconds.  I am using CoCo Pods to handle the Obj-C library, according to the Dropbox installation instructions.

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I'm not familiar enough with the Xcode build system to say confidently what the issue may be, but there's a post here about an issue that sounds like this:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/39588223/xcode-8-recompiling-complete-code-everytime

I'll ask the team to review this though.

Robert S.138
Helpful | Level 7

That problem is close, but has one major difference.  In their case the full recompile happens with every kind of build.  In my case the recompile only happens when I build for release (using Archive).  When I build for debug, the Dropbox library does not recompile.  As I said it is a small issue since I am almost always building for debug,  and there is no issue there.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Robert S.138 Helpful | Level 7
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?