cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

downloading a large file using python v2 API

downloading a large file using python v2 API

Olaf B.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dear Dropboxers,

would it be possible to see an example for large file download, equivalent to https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/205544836-python-upload-big-file-example for the upload?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

It is already implemented in the Java SDK

(It is also implemented in the API v1 Python client, but I can't recommend using that as it's deprecated.)

If you wanted to implement it manually, or modify the Python SDK, here's a sample of what it would look like in curl for reference:

curl -X POST https://content.dropboxapi.com/2/files/download \
--header "Authorization: Bearer ACCESS_TOKEN" \
--header "Dropbox-API-Arg: {\"path\": \"/test.txt\"}" \
--header "Range:bytes=0-2"

That would download just the first 3 bytes of the file at /test.txt.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Olaf, for downloading, you generally just need a simple call to the files_download method. There's a sample here:

https://stackoverflow.com/documentation/dropbox-api/408/downloading-a-file/1350/downloading-a-file-u...

Are you running into issues downloading large files?

Olaf B.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Gregory,

thanks. I am working with very large files, up to several tens of GB, and it would be nice to be able to parcel them in chunks, as we do for the upload. The motivation is the same: to be able to monitor progress and retry in the case of failure. I cannot find the the right tools for that in the API. Are they not provided, or am I looking in the wrong place?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I see, thanks for the additional context! The API itself does actually support Range Retrieval Requests which can be used to download files in pieces, but this functionality unfortunately isn't currently exposed in the API v2 Python SDK. We'll consider this a feature request for that though.

Olaf B.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is it available in some other programing language?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

It is already implemented in the Java SDK

(It is also implemented in the API v1 Python client, but I can't recommend using that as it's deprecated.)

If you wanted to implement it manually, or modify the Python SDK, here's a sample of what it would look like in curl for reference:

curl -X POST https://content.dropboxapi.com/2/files/download \
--header "Authorization: Bearer ACCESS_TOKEN" \
--header "Dropbox-API-Arg: {\"path\": \"/test.txt\"}" \
--header "Range:bytes=0-2"

That would download just the first 3 bytes of the file at /test.txt.

Olaf B.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

OK, thank you, this helps.

MattFahrner
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have the same problem - want to download a very large file in a streaming format in the v2 API and used to use v1 "get_file()" functionality. The idea is to use it for a "tar" restore from backup, and pulling it all into memory ala "files_download()" would get ugly fast.

Any hope that this will make it back into the exposed Python API?

Thanks!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Matt, it sounds like your request may actually be slightly different than what was being discussed on this thread. We were talking about downloading files in distinct chunks (similar to the chunked upload), but it sounds like you want to be able to stream the download as desired, like you currently do with the get_file method.

I believe the files_download method does already work the same way as that though. It returns a requests.models.Response object on which you can call iter_content to iterate over the content, streaming it off the connection. 

That would look something like:

metadata, res = dbx.files_download(path)
for data in res.iter_content(10):
print(data)

Hope this helps! 

MattFahrner
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Excellent! I will give that a try - thanks!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

MarceloC Explorer | Level 4
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    MattFahrner Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?