cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropbox javascript api points to folder inside of Apps directory

dropbox javascript api points to folder inside of Apps directory

Mesqueeb
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello community,

I have created a dropbox App with  'Permission type: App folder'.

I have filled in a name in the 'App folder name' and this was automatically created in my Dropbox in a directory `/App/folder-name`

Now I have 2 questions:

1. Can I also point the dropbox Javascript API to an existing folder outside the `App` directory?

2. If I change the 'App folder name' setting at dropbox's developer page: 'My Apps', do I need to regenerate the 'Generated access token' ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
1. If your app is registered for the "app folder" permission, it cannot access anything outside of its own app folder. If you need your app to access items outside an app folder, you'll need to register another app for the "full Dropbox" permission instead. Note that apps registered for the full Dropbox permission do not get an app folder automatically created for them, but can access any existing folders, or make new ones.

2. If you change the 'App folder name' setting for an app with the app folder permission, that will change the name for any newly created app folders. It will not change the name of any app folders that have already been created, and it will not affect existing access tokens.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
1. If your app is registered for the "app folder" permission, it cannot access anything outside of its own app folder. If you need your app to access items outside an app folder, you'll need to register another app for the "full Dropbox" permission instead. Note that apps registered for the full Dropbox permission do not get an app folder automatically created for them, but can access any existing folders, or make new ones.

2. If you change the 'App folder name' setting for an app with the app folder permission, that will change the name for any newly created app folders. It will not change the name of any app folders that have already been created, and it will not affect existing access tokens.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?