cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

filesListFolder slow

filesListFolder slow

filipengstrom91
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, 

I use the Dropbox webhook to start a Javascript function I've written. It worked great the first few months when the folders just contained a few files. Now they contain approximately 200-250 files and it takes approximately 30 seconds to fetch all the files with filesListFolder function. This amount of time surely can't be normal, I want to be able to use it as my folders grows with files. The following lines of code are where I figure the problem is:

const fetch = require('isomorphic-fetch'); // or another library of choice.
const Dropbox = require("dropbox").Dropbox;
const dbx = new Dropbox({ accessToken: 'T-BxAk********************************************Cn2eeFT', fetch: fetch });
const response = await dbx.filesListFolder({ path: "/Redovisning/", recursive: true, limit: 5 })
let cursor = response.cursor;
let hasMore = response.has_more;

const entriesArray = [response.entries];

while (hasMore === true) {
let responseWhile = await dbx.filesListFolderContinue({ cursor: cursor });
hasMore = responseWhile.has_more;
cursor = responseWhile.cursor;
for (entry of responseWhile.entries) {
entriesArray.push(entry);
}
}
console.log(entriesArray);
Thanks
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

There are a number of variables that can affect the overall performance here, so we can't promise any specific speed for listing a folder. Looking at your code though, there are a few things that may help:

• You're using "limit: 5", which will limit Dropbox to returning about 5 entries per page. Since you need to make an HTTP request and response for each page, using a small limit like that will increase the overhead and increase how long the entire process takes. If you don't need to use a small page size like that for some reason, switching to a larger number may speed this up.
  • You're using "recursive: true", which can increase how much work Dropbox has to do to list out the entries. If you don't need nested entries, switching this to "recursive: false" may speed this up.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

There are a number of variables that can affect the overall performance here, so we can't promise any specific speed for listing a folder. Looking at your code though, there are a few things that may help:

• You're using "limit: 5", which will limit Dropbox to returning about 5 entries per page. Since you need to make an HTTP request and response for each page, using a small limit like that will increase the overhead and increase how long the entire process takes. If you don't need to use a small page size like that for some reason, switching to a larger number may speed this up.
  • You're using "recursive: true", which can increase how much work Dropbox has to do to list out the entries. If you don't need nested entries, switching this to "recursive: false" may speed this up.

filipengstrom91
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you for your reply. Changing the limit to 2000 solved my problem. It now loads within a couple of seconds. I realise that I didn't understand what limit meant. Thanks!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

filipengstrom91 Explorer | Level 4
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?