cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: generate file preview link

generate file preview link

rajshree1996
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

How can we generate a preview link for a file and use that link to display the file in our web app? can we also attach link expiry

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

There are a few different options that you may want to try:

By the way, those are links to the documentation for the HTTPS endpoints themselves, but we recommend using one of the official SDKs if possible:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/documentation

Those have corresponding native methods for the HTTPS endpoints. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

There are a few different options that you may want to try:

By the way, those are links to the documentation for the HTTPS endpoints themselves, but we recommend using one of the official SDKs if possible:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/documentation

Those have corresponding native methods for the HTTPS endpoints. 

rajshree1996
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

2 solution works.

when trying the first one I am getting the unauthorized error in API explorer when I add expires in settings.

{ "error_summary": "settings_error/not_authorized/", "error": { ".tag": "settings_error", "settings_error": { ".tag": "not_authorized" } } }

If I don'nt use settings object then it is giving me the expected response.Screenshot from 2019-09-24 17-04-33.png

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The shared link expiration functionality is only available to Dropbox Professional and Business accounts. Attempting to set an expiration from other account types will fail like that.

rajshree1996
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

can't we generate the image preview for all file types?

It seems previews will be of the same type as file. pdf preview link will preview a pdf only.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm not sure I follow your question. For reference:

• The /2/sharing/create_shared_link_with_settings endpoint can be used to create a shared link for any type of file. The shared link page by default will show a preview of the file if possible. E.g., it can display a preview of the relevant text, image, PDF, etc., depending on the type of the linked file. If you modify the link for direct access, it will return the original file data.
  • The /2/files/get_temporary_link endpoint returns a temporary link that will just return the original file data.
  • The /2/files/get_preview endpoint will directly PDF or HTML preview data directly, as determined by the supported file types covered in the documentation.
Need more support?