cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inbound and outbound Content-Type values

inbound and outbound Content-Type values

Spookerton ..
New member | Level 1

Hi there.

I'm working in a fairly restrictive environment without the option to use a different one. Under API v1 this was not a problem, because it was far less strict and its outputs less opinionated. API v2 appears to hold itself to a higher standard of adherence to good HTTP metadata with regard to its content, which is great for more flexible and general ways to access it but terrible for me.

My technical restrictions revolve primarily around the Content-Type header, and I do not believe that the others are relevant to my issue. I am forcibly restricted to the following values, and any incoming data that does not use them is dropped before I ever see it:

text/plain; charset=utf-8

application/xhtml+xml;charset=utf-8

application/atom+xml;charset=utf-8

application/json;charset=utf-8

application/xml;charset=utf-8

application/llsd+xml;charset=utf-8

application/x-javascript;charset=utf-8

application/javascript;charset=utf-8

application/x-www-form-urlencoded;charset=utf-8

application/rss+xml;charset=utf-8

In light of this, I am of course unable to handle responses with the Content-Type "application/octet-stream", which appears to be the exclusive response type available from Content-download endpoints. I understand why this is advantageous for Dropbox since it is a great deal more friendly for serving large files, but I am dealing exclusively with raw UTF-8 JSON documents that are unlikely to ever be longer than 2048 bytes long (in fact, also an extremely generous estimate).

Is there any means that I've missed in the documentation to pass a requested content type to API v2, or cause it to serve a content type according to the file's metadata? My only alternative if not is to make use of an intermediate service for repacking my requests or stop using dropbox when API v1 is disabled, and I would really rather not.

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for writing this up. Unfortunately, API v2 doesn't offer a way to specifically request particular Content-Type like this. I'll send this along as a feature request, but I can't promise that it will be implemented. Apologies I don't have a better answer for you!

Spookerton ..
New member | Level 1

It's a pity there's no existing method, but I'm very glad to hear you guys are so flexible about issues your users might come up with. Thanks for the quick response!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Spookerton .. New member | Level 1
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?