cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with Dropbox Saver

problem with Dropbox Saver

Andres Garrido
Explorer | Level 4

Hello, 

Days ago I could save some files without problem, but now when trying to save certain files, the progress stops from one moment to another. I have tried from other links and with other files, but the same thing happens. It mainly happens to me with files larger than 1GB, I don't know if there is now a size limit, because previously I didn't have any problems.

Please could fix this problem soon. 

27 Replies 27

gaganov
Helpful | Level 5

@Greg-DB Looks like my previous message has been caught by spam filter as well, restore it please. Thank you.

gaganov
Helpful | Level 5

@Andres Garrido , the problem with 5min timeout goes form 2017. I think they don't want to increase it unfortunately 😞

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-API-Support-Feedback/Saver-5-minute-timeout/td-p/243376

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@gaganov Thanks for the note! I've restored your message.

And yes, there is a 5 minute timeout, and I'm not aware of any current plans to change that limit itself. It looks like the issue here is that progress stalls for some reason, causing the operation to then hit the timeout. I'll follow up here once I have any news on this.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Greg-DB wrote:

... It looks like the issue here is that progress stalls for some reason, ...

Yes, connectivity speed of 150mbps or so (middle for the 5 minutes) between Dropbox and a CDN like Akamai Technologies (one of the links above) is... 😁 no very impressive.

gaganov
Helpful | Level 5

gaganov
Helpful | Level 5

@Andres Garrido the workaround is to use their API through SDK. There are chunked uploads for big files.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@gaganov Yes, while the timeout itself is still in place, there appears to be a recent degradation causing the transfer progress to stall well before the timeout is reached, causing the operation to then hit the timeout. This is open with the team to investigate the cause of the progress stalling.

gaganov
Helpful | Level 5

@Greg-DB you're right, transfer progress gets stalled at ~50-80%. The Dropbox team is investigating it for 6 years already. They can try something like tus protocol. 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@gaganov wrote:

... They can try something like tus protocol. 

@gaganov, No, they cannot.

You are messing upload (what tus deals with) and download (what actually happens - Dropbox server downloads from provided link).

gaganov
Helpful | Level 5

@Здравко indeed, you're right.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    gaganov Helpful | Level 5
    Andres Garrido Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?