cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: select files to saver

select files to saver

dani78
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm asking myself where and how to select files to saver. I want to use it as uploader and there should be an upload button.

dropbox.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for following up. The Dropbox Saver is built to accept a URL from the third party app, and then prompts the user for where in their Dropbox account they want to save the linked file. When the user does so, the Dropbox servers then retrieve the file from the supplied URL and save the resulting data to the user's Dropbox account as requested.

Exactly where that URL comes from is up to you as the developer of the app. The URL needs to be Internet-accessible so that the Dropbox servers can access it.

The Dropbox Saver doesn't itself have a local upload mechanism, since it just expects a URL from the app. If it makes sense for your app though, you could build your own upload form to upload a file to your server, and then supply a URL to that file to the Saver to let the user save it to Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm not sure I understand your question. Can you clarify?

The Dropbox Saver is a way for third party apps to give files to users that they can save directly to their Dropbox accounts. You can find all of the information on the Saver here.

Alternatively, if you want the opposite flow, where a user selects a file from their Dropbox account to supply to your third party app, you should look at the Dropbox Chooser instead.

dani78
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Maybe I don't really understand the concept behind saver. I need to create a fileuploader for Dropbox. A simple button  which opens a popup to the Dropbox where I can upload files. Same as saver but with an upload button.

Any hint how this works?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for following up. The Dropbox Saver is built to accept a URL from the third party app, and then prompts the user for where in their Dropbox account they want to save the linked file. When the user does so, the Dropbox servers then retrieve the file from the supplied URL and save the resulting data to the user's Dropbox account as requested.

Exactly where that URL comes from is up to you as the developer of the app. The URL needs to be Internet-accessible so that the Dropbox servers can access it.

The Dropbox Saver doesn't itself have a local upload mechanism, since it just expects a URL from the app. If it makes sense for your app though, you could build your own upload form to upload a file to your server, and then supply a URL to that file to the Saver to let the user save it to Dropbox.

dani78
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Ok, good to know. Thank you for your answer.

Need more support?