cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Admin security compromised if all employees are not sharing as business users?

SOLVED
3 Comments
1 Kudo
Level 6

Admin security compromised if all employees are not sharing as business users?

The company  has 100+ employees with different departments. (sales, service, marketing, accounting, etc). Interest being in a secure and cost effective server replacement.

I understand that individual users would be restricted by their own account storage limits, however, my concern is about administrative security.

If I have a folder that is being shared with members of the company who are both "users" on the Business account and individual users... does that compromise the implied security by the admin controls? If I want to keep my data ownership and administrative security, couldn't I just do the Business minimum license and have all the users sign up and share with us using individual accounts? By doing so, have admin control over my Business owned folders, then have the rest of the employees sign up using Plus or Basic (based on storage need) then save a minimum of 50% per user.

What am I missing here?

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
Dropboxer

Re: Admin security compromised if all employees are not sharing as business users?

Hey  jcoebatty

Thanks for posting your query on the Dropbox Community, glad to help you clarify! 

As per your inquiry, please keep in mind that any account that falls under the Dropbox for Business account is in the admin’s complete control through the admin console. That being said, anything that has been uploaded or shared by this account can be managed by the team admin, who can also access any Business member's account using the "sign in as user" feature to do any of the following:

• View a team member's folder structure
  • Share files and folders with others
  • View, open, and download files
  • Delete files, or restore deleted files

On the other hand, if your employees share files/ folders from a personal account within your company, these are perceived by Dropbox as personal files, therefore users may claim full ownership.

If you need more details about it, just let me know in your reply! 

Kind regards, 
JaneA 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Accept as Solution White check mark if this post answers your question!
Kudos relieved face are always appreciated!! Rainbow

3 Replies
Highlighted
Solution
Dropboxer

Re: Admin security compromised if all employees are not sharing as business users?

Hey  jcoebatty

Thanks for posting your query on the Dropbox Community, glad to help you clarify! 

As per your inquiry, please keep in mind that any account that falls under the Dropbox for Business account is in the admin’s complete control through the admin console. That being said, anything that has been uploaded or shared by this account can be managed by the team admin, who can also access any Business member's account using the "sign in as user" feature to do any of the following:

• View a team member's folder structure
  • Share files and folders with others
  • View, open, and download files
  • Delete files, or restore deleted files

On the other hand, if your employees share files/ folders from a personal account within your company, these are perceived by Dropbox as personal files, therefore users may claim full ownership.

If you need more details about it, just let me know in your reply! 

Kind regards, 
JaneA 

Level 6

Are the individual files still perceived as personal when uploaded to the business owned folder they are sharing with them?
Dropboxer

Hey jcoebatty

If the owner of the shared folder is a company-owned (team) account, anything (meaning any files/ or edits) uploaded there is technically owned by the owner of the shared folder. Just keep in mind that any changes inside the shared folders from external users cannot be controlled through the admin console, though. 

Cheers, 

JaneA