cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Dropbox/Paper enable me to process .txt files on my iPhone?

Can Dropbox/Paper enable me to process .txt files on my iPhone?

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

In Windows 10, I use Notepad to create .txt files.  Can Dropbox/Paper enable me to sync these .txt files with my iPhone SE, and open and edit them and Save/Save As, and even create .txt files, using my iPhone SE?

If so, how, exactly?  If not, how else can I do this? 

I don't want to sync Word files or anything complicated, only .txt files, so I want a minimalist, lightweight solution, just like Notepad is on Windows.

I have a vague idea that an app called PlainText used to handle .txt files on iPhone, but that PlainText does not work on iOS 11.

[ Confusing new world to me, the iPhone, especially with no back button. ]

Any help woud be much appreciated, preferably in simple English, I know very little computer jargon.

Mike

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

theguy69
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello mike160304,

You can put all the txt in a folder and use select sync to sync only that folder. You have several apps that can edit txt files directlly from dropbox:

https://bywordapp.com/

https://ia.net/writer/

Hope this help you.

You you need more info please ask

Cheers

JR

-----------------------------

Select which folders to sync on Windows

1. Click the Dropbox icon from the system tray.
  2. Click the gear icon and select Preferences... from the menu.
  3. Click Sync.
  4. Click Selective Sync....

A window will appear with a list of all the top level folders in your Dropbox folder. The folders with a check next to them will be synced to your computer. Uncheck any folders that you don't need to sync to your computer's hard drive. When you're done, select OK. Any folders you deselected will be removed from your hard drive, but will still be available through the website and on any computers linked to your Dropbox account.

Note: Wait until folders display a green checkmark—which means they are completely uploaded to your Dropbox—before unselecting them in your selective sync preferences and removing them from the Dropbox app on your computer.

View solution in original post

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox has the ability to edit and create .TXT files on an iPhone, no other app needed.

When you open a text file in Dropbox, you'll have an Edit icon in the bottom right corner. Tap that to start editing. To create a new text file, tap the plus + sign at the bottom of the screen.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@theguy69 wrote:

Have you added "Documents > Hobbies & Tools > Photo" folder to Selective Sync in Dropbox? doing that will not change the location of files. You don't need to move the file

That's not accurate, at all.

Selective Sync isn't used to add folders outside of Dropbox to your Dropbox folder. Dropbox is not capable of that, and will only sync the items that are  located IN the Dropbox folder. The idea is that you move your files into the Dropbox folder and work on them directly there. If you must have access to the file in it's original location, then move it to Dropbox and place a shortcut to it in the original location. Remember, Dropbox is just a folder on your computer like any other. Items in your local Dropbox are still on your computer.

For clarity, Selective Sync is used to remove a folder from your local Dropbox folder, while leaving it in your account online. You would then use the Dropbox website or mobile apps to access it.

11 Replies 11

theguy69
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello mike160304,

You can put all the txt in a folder and use select sync to sync only that folder. You have several apps that can edit txt files directlly from dropbox:

https://bywordapp.com/

https://ia.net/writer/

Hope this help you.

You you need more info please ask

Cheers

JR

-----------------------------

Select which folders to sync on Windows

1. Click the Dropbox icon from the system tray.
  2. Click the gear icon and select Preferences... from the menu.
  3. Click Sync.
  4. Click Selective Sync....

A window will appear with a list of all the top level folders in your Dropbox folder. The folders with a check next to them will be synced to your computer. Uncheck any folders that you don't need to sync to your computer's hard drive. When you're done, select OK. Any folders you deselected will be removed from your hard drive, but will still be available through the website and on any computers linked to your Dropbox account.

Note: Wait until folders display a green checkmark—which means they are completely uploaded to your Dropbox—before unselecting them in your selective sync preferences and removing them from the Dropbox app on your computer.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox has the ability to edit and create .TXT files on an iPhone, no other app needed.

When you open a text file in Dropbox, you'll have an Edit icon in the bottom right corner. Tap that to start editing. To create a new text file, tap the plus + sign at the bottom of the screen.

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
Many thanks, that helps me. "Accept as solution" has disappeared so I cannot click it.

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Thanks, that sounds simple, I shall try it before looking for any other app solutions.

Mike

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

@Rich wrote:

Thanks, that sounds simple, I shall try it before looking for any other app solutions.

Mike

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

To:  Rich and theguy69:

I have been trying to follow your advice:

THE GOOD:

On the iPhone, in the Dropbox app, I can open and edit old .txt files, and create new .txt files, using Dropbox's own app, and they are all synced with files in my PC's Dropbox Folder.  I am happy with that.

On the PC, I can move Notepad .txt files to the Dropbox Folder and they are then synced with Dropbox and my iPhone.  So far, so good.  On the PC on the Dropbox site, it seems I cannot create new .txt files, but that does not matter because I can create them with Notepad on the PC.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD YET:

E.G. :  On my PC, I have a .txt file called "FZ330 Notes" stored in Documents > Hobbies & Tools > Photo, and that is where I always look for it.  When I move it into the Dropbox Folder, it is removed from its proper location.  I am not happy with that, is there a way it can also be visible in its proper location?

Thanks,

Mike

theguy69
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi mike160304,

Have you added "Documents > Hobbies & Tools > Photo" folder to Selective Sync in Dropbox? doing that will not change the location of files. You don't need to move the file

If you need more help please ask

Cheers

JR 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@theguy69 wrote:

That's not accurate, at all.

Selective Sync isn't used to add folders outside of Dropbox to your Dropbox folder. Dropbox is not capable of that, and will only sync the items that are  located IN the Dropbox folder. The idea is that you move your files into the Dropbox folder and work on them directly there. If you must have access to the file in it's original location, then move it to Dropbox and place a shortcut to it in the original location. Remember, Dropbox is just a folder on your computer like any other. Items in your local Dropbox are still on your computer.

For clarity, Selective Sync is used to remove a folder from your local Dropbox folder, while leaving it in your account online. You would then use the Dropbox website or mobile apps to access it.

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Thanks, but I have not seen anything about selective syncing in the Dropbox website?

Mike

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mike160304 Collaborator | Level 9
    Rich Super User II
    theguy69 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?