Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Can EndNote be used with Paper?

RJL
Level 6

I would like to use EndNote with Paper. I am aware that EndNote warns users not to store the EndNote data files (called "libraries") on DropBox because the syncing DropBox can corrupt those files.  That is not my question today.

I'm interested in knowing whether the codes for references that EndNote inserts into the document being written in Paper will be stripped out when the document is downloaded and converted to MS Word.

3 Replies

Re: Can EndNote be used with Paper?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, could you clarify what kind of codes you’re referring to so we can test this out here? 

Have you tried to do this yourself and if so what was the result? If it wasn’t intended, what would you like to happen when you export it to Word?

Thanks in advance!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

RJL
Level 6

Endnote inserts a code in the text when the user cites a reference.  E.g., if the user cites "Smith 1999", EndNote inserts "Smith 1999 2945" at that location in the text.  (2945 is the ID number of the reference stored in EndNote.)  The code is not visible to the user unless clicks a few buttons; what is visiable is "Smith 1999".  The problem is stripping of the codes when the document is downloaded from the cloud.

Endnotes states:

If you create a document using EndNote Cite While You Write and upload it to Google Docs on Google Drive, the EndNote encoding will be removed. Any citations you have originally entered will no longer be connected to EndNote if you download the document from Google Drive. At this time, we do not recommend working with Google Docs on Google Drive if you are using EndNote to generate your references.

EndNote warns:

Dropbox is a cloud based file sharing service. Our database products (EndNote, Reference Manager and ProCite) were not designed for compatibility with this service or other cloud storage. While you can use the service to keep a backup copy or share a compressed copy of your database file(s), we do not recommend opening and/or using the database from that location. If you have your database files saved to Dropbox or any cloud storage, we recommend you copy the files to another location on your computer or remote drive before you open them.

I am hoping that DropBox does face the problems encounted by Google Docs or by the rest of DropBox.  I have not yet  tested DropBox Paper with EndNote because I am not yet a user and don't want to climb the learning curve if I can't use EndNote.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
As you mentioned earlier, since Paper is separate from the rest of Dropbox, there shouldn’t be any issues of corrupted files.

Now, as this is ‘code’ being inserted into Paper, perhaps using the code field would work, like so:

{cite Smith, 1999}

Since I don’t know how you create the citation, this code does export normally to docx, albeit in a slightly larger size and a different font, which you can see below.

Code export.png

I’m not sure if this is going to help, since I assume you’re going to need to import the docx file into EndNote, and for that program to detect and apply the necessary citations.

Let me know if this info helped out!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Dropbox Paper

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can EndNote be used with Paper?
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post