cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I permanently delete Dropbox Paper files?

12 Comments
26 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1

Can I permanently delete Dropbox Paper files?

After I've deleted a file in Dropbox Paper, it gets moved to the trash, where there's an option to restore it.

There are many files I'd like to clear out of the trash permanently because they either have no content in them or the content is no longer relevant. However, Dropbox seems to keep the file forever, not even autodeleting it after a certain time period, and it clutters up the "deleted" view making it an eyesore.

Is there any way to do this? Could this feature be implemented?

12 Replies
Super User II

Re: Can I permanently delete Dropbox Paper files?

There isnt a way at present, no. 

I would hope (and assume!) one will be added in due course as it moves out of the beta phase.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 1

Be very careful with what you save in your dropbox paper. If someone ever gets access to your account, (you leave you laptop open or whatever), they will be able to easily restore all your files because  there's no way to permanently erase them. It is not safe to keep private info with paper for now. Only use it for testing.

I suggest you mess with the content of the files before archiving them. Although I think Paper is version controlled and people will still be able to roll back to previous versions. Weird how simple functionality is missing after so much time of development.

Level 1

Hello everyone,

I don't see a delete option under the ... dropdown where I thought it previously was. I can't delete any older files I created. The menu just stops at "Archive", I haven't used the beta in a while, so I didn't notice this. Is the delete option accessed another way, or is it gone altogether?  

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Level 1

It seems like "delete" got renamed to "archive". I hope this means that when they reintroduce the delete option, it will actually delete things this time.

Level 1

I'm not using "paper" until dropbox includes a method to remove or delete items permanently! Actually, I think it stupid on their part too not include that capability. Archive is NOT DELETE, it means saving forever, at least in this case---since you can't delete an archived doc or photo.

Level 1

I've stopped using it myself for that reason. Thankfully I hadn't put any really sensitive data on there.

Level 1

Looks like they've implemented this feature after all. Thank you guys!

Although it would be nice if you could mass-delete everything with a "delete selected" in the archived folder.

Level 1

I don't see any implementation of a delete feature as of this moment. Please give more detail or screenshot to ensure I'm not overlooking that feature. Thanks

Level 1

If you look at an archived document, there's an option to delete it, although it's not its own button, just a link.