Dropbox Paper API request

SOLVED
8 Comments
48 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1

Dropbox Paper API request

Hello,

First of all, you've made an amazing intuitive interface that works beautifully. It's simple to use and is feature-rich, which is awesome, there's no unnecessary bloat which spoils most of the apps nowadays.

What would be great is if you developed a RESTful API to manipulate the document in order to use it with external software.

Here are some of the ideas for the API features.

These would be most basic callbacks.

• POST requests in order to create/edit any type of element on the paper, on a specific place (initially on places defined in table of contents). If not provided, it will create it at the bottom of the document of course. 

These are kind of heavier, but extremely useful.

• Two way communication, POST requests to a set up paths on changes of the docs, in order for external software to use changes made to paper. 
  • This would be completely awesome. To define custom actions on the paragraphs selected/wherever there's + sign or edit bar. For instance, define a button that will have an icon from your icon set and will fire some API callback after being clicked. These are completely custom and defined in paper itself? (Import/export paper settings comes to mind, when creating the paper).

The list could go on and on, depending on everyone's use case. Only choice you have to make is how far will you go with implementation. Whether you'll provide basic functionality that pretty much most of the competition has or will you create something completely new that will cause businesses to switch to your infrastructure for creating and managing docs.

I'd love to hear back if you found this useful or if you have something like this in mind.

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Dropboxer

Re: Dropbox Paper API request

8 Replies
Dropboxer

Thanks for the detailed request! I'm sending it along to the team.

Level 1

Yes really liking Dropbox paper - keen to have an api

Level 1

Is there a procedure when there's a reply from Dropbox team? In case they're interested to implement this?

Dropboxer

For important announcements, make sure you have "Dropbox API announcements" enabled on:

https://www.dropbox.com/account#settings

Besides that, be sure to subscribe the blog for new posts:

https://blogs.dropbox.com/developers/

We generally post on the blog about new features.

Level 1

Any plans in place to make this happen? We have a legacy mediawiki site that we'd like to migrate from but until that happens - we need to somehow two-way sync between the wiki and Dropbox Paper.

Dropboxer

No news for this.

Level 1

I want to migrate my Diary App from Evernote to DropBox Paper. Please make an API happen.

Solution
Dropboxer