Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everything you wanted to know about Dropbox Paper

19 Comments
21 Kudos
Community Manager

Everything you wanted to know about Dropbox Paper

Hi all,

Welcome to our first 'Ask-me-Anything'-style talk! Today we're welcoming our Dropbox Paper team who will be behing the screens posting some cool updates and sharing more about life after Paper.

How does it work?
You need to be signed up to ask a question or kudo a response.

To sign in just click on the 'sign in' button on the top right of the page. You'll need to be logged in on your Dropbox.com account.

Once signed in, you can click on 'reply' or 'quick reply' to post a question.

Important: You need to refresh the page to see the updates. 

We hope you enjoy it! The team will be available from 10am-11am PST / 5pm-6pm GMT

Thanks!
Ed

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! slightly smiling face

• paper
19 Replies
Dropboxer

Re: Everything you wanted to know about Dropbox Paper

Hi all! Richard here with the Dropbox Paper team, really looking forward to answering your questions! :D
Level 6

First of all, I absolutely love Paper and thank you for creating it! What was the big idea behind it, if I may ask?
Level 6

oh and when can we expect colors or highlighting text ?? thank you again
Super User II

Hello @RichardDBX. Thank you for being here today and thank you, @Ed, for arranging this.

My question is... Will we ever be able to manage/organize our Paper documents from within Dropbox?

Dropboxer

@whelans00 So glad to hear you're enjoying Paper! slightly smiling face Most of today's word processing programs were build around a foundation that was designed decades ago. Back then, the main goals of those programs applications were very different than today – for example, in the 90s your main goal was probably to create a document and print it out. Nowadays, most users have less of a need for actions like printing and more of a need for quick & simple collaboration & sharing. We built Paper with those ideas in mind. One of our favorite parts of Paper is how lightweight and simple it feels. We want to continue that and avoid making it feel overwhelming or cluttered.

Dropboxer

@whelans00 highlighting text is already possible – try selecting some text and pressing command+e on Mac or control+e on Windows slightly smiling face

Adding additional font colors isn't in our plans right now, but we appreciate hearing the different ways you use font colors in your work!

Super User II

Hi @RichardDBX!

A few from me (sorry....!). This is as somebody who loves Paper now that I know what it actually does..... I needed showing ha!

1. Is there any chance of being able to do things offline in an app on desktop? Still not totally sold on web page client stuff only
  2. When can we get folders to sort things (my Papers set up now is simply put a mess and I cannot cope!) and structure stuff better (Paper in to a structure, linked to Dropbox?). I want to have a Paper eco-system relating to my files
  3. As a feature element when can we start putting folders etc 
  4. Can we please have a way of dragging/dropping files other than just images please? Its a pain to click +
  5. When using tables can we PLEASE have a way of changing colum/row size thats not a PITA
  6. Justification is needed in tables.

Ok, going to stop for a bit as I can smell my tea burning, sorry, and thanks for that - and to @Ed for sorting!!

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Super User II

Agree with @whelans00 that colours are needed

As an aside I've mentioned this before to people, but, can we possibly get options to change background slightly (link you can on Kindle to yellow) to help make it easier to read - in my dyslexic head!

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 6

thank you so much sir RichardDBX. What other shortcuts are there that we are not aware of?