cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I remove myself from a shared document in paper?

Dropbox Paper leave a shared document or folder

man-u-l
Helpful | Level 5

I am having a problem, I read an article about how to manage projects using paper, the article had a link to a sample Paper Document, I clicked on it and I was added to the Document list of people who can see and commend along with a couple hundred more that also clicked the link, now that I looked at the file I want to remove it from my Paper Docs, but I cannot find the option to do so, I can archive my own documents and eventually delete them, but I cannot remove or leave that document that was "shared" with me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I am new to Dropbox Paper, I manage my notes elsewher but want to move all of them to Paper, I will pull the trigger once I can also have offline access to those notes on my Mac.

59 Replies 59

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey man-u-l

Glad to help figure out a solution to this. 

Just keep in mind that you can Archive or Restore a Paper document, if you have Owner or Editor access. On the other hand, because only the owner of the Paper document can remove users or Permanently delete the document, I d suggest reaching out to them, so that they remove you from it, if you you don’t want to sync it to your account. 

I’d like to point out though that, as for the time being, Paper documents don’t take up any space on your account, so you can have as many as you like, without worrying about any space issues. 

If you need more details about it, just let me know here. 

Cheers, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Luc C.1
Helpful | Level 6

It seems that only the creator a the document can archive or delete it.  Can I remove myself without contacting the owner?

Tom H.
Super User

I just gave it a shot myself, and I also did not find a way to remove myself from a document. 

Also, I did not find anything using the keyboard shortcuts. Seems to me like this is a huge spot for improvement. Though I could have missed it. 

I would not expect a answer from the Dropboxer's if its a yet to be implemented feature. Dropbox doesnt comment on upcoming features, nor do they give time lines for such enhancements. 

----
1paw.png If this has helped you, please "kudo" this post.
2paw.png If it has solved your issue please "Accecpt as Solution".

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey Luc C.1 & Tom H., thanks for posting your thoughts & expressing your interest on this functionality here. 

I’ve made sure to pass your comments on for future consideration, as our team is actively working on adding more features on Paper & I’ve added your voice to the feedback gathered.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead. 
Take care! :slight_smile:

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Stephane C.1
Explorer | Level 3

Actually, only a editor can archive or delete a document so if the Doc was shared without editing, there is no way to even move it to a folder. It's been annoying me since I started on the beta as I ha 2 document that are stuck. I moved from Paper for that reason alone.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey Stephane C.1, thanks for posting your thoughts on the Dropbox Forum & I hope you’re doing well today! 

Please keep in mind that in case the Owner has just granted you Can View” permissions on this Paper doc, you will not be able to Delete or Move it to a different location. To my mind, a temporary workaround could be to Unfollow” from the list of options on the […] icon on the top-right. 

I’d happily pass your interest & feedback up the ladder for future reference though, as it’s my understanding that you’d like to utilize this feature. 

I hope this is helpful to you & please keep me updated in this discussion in case you need further assistance or clarifications. Thanks again & I’m wishing you a great rest of the day ahead! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

fonnesbeck
Helpful | Level 5

This is not any sort of a solution, so I’m not sure why this has been marked as “solved”. I’ve got a couple of documents in my account that are other peoples’ documents which I cannot get rid of. I am never again going to view someone else’s Paper document because of this, which is a shame, because I am sure this is not the intended behavior. This is a bug, and should have been fixed long ago. 

LukeHowellDev
New member | Level 2
Is there an update on this? I have docs that were shared with me that I no longer need to view, but I cannot get them out of my view.

cdstars
New member | Level 2

Hi -- I don't find that this solution answers my question. I share Dropbox Paper notes with many other people at work. When people leave a training session, they are annoyed by the many shared documents -- but when they archive them, they are archived for me, too, and I still need them. How can I keep them as normal and have that person remove *themselves* from the shared document so they don't clutter the other person's Paper workspace?

Need more support?