cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'd like to Undo/Redo edits in Dropbox Paper. Is it possible?

I'd like to Undo/Redo edits in Dropbox Paper. Is it possible?

KleenKraft52
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Is there any way to undo/redo work in Dropbox paper? I am working online at PC, so that may not be an option, but I wonder if it's possible.  I am not talking about restoring an older version of a file. I want to know if I accidentally delete part of my work, can I just undo it or will I need to recreate what I lost. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Ah, now that’s great question, let me send you a couple of pointers that could be of assistance & we’ll take it from there! 

For starters, you could Undo recent changes using your keyboard shortcuts by pressing "Ctrl+z” (Note: You can access all your Keyboard shortcuts inside a Paper doc on the bottom-right corner on the Keyboard icon :keyboard:.)

Following, if you’d like to revert back to an earlier version, you could check for the content you’d like to go back to on your doc history. To view your Paper doc history:

• Click on the menu button, which appears as an ellipsis ("...") 💬 in the top right corner of the relevant doc > Click "Doc history".> In the "Doc changes" section, scroll to the point in time when you’d like to go back to & once you find what you’re looking for, you can click on the relevant button to Rollback to this version. 
(Tip: If you know roughly when the edit you’re looking for was made, you can quickly navigate on the doc changes on the menu on the right.)

PaperDocHistory1.png

That essentially means that if you accidentally delete part of your doc, you can always retrieve the latest saved version from there. Please bear in mind that once you restore an older version though, you can’t return to a more recent one.

I hope that my answer is helpful to you & I’m here to discuss it in more detail if you have any follow-up questions, just let me know here. Happy :memo: editing & I’m wishing you a wonderful rest of your day ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Ah, now that’s great question, let me send you a couple of pointers that could be of assistance & we’ll take it from there! 

For starters, you could Undo recent changes using your keyboard shortcuts by pressing "Ctrl+z” (Note: You can access all your Keyboard shortcuts inside a Paper doc on the bottom-right corner on the Keyboard icon :keyboard:.)

Following, if you’d like to revert back to an earlier version, you could check for the content you’d like to go back to on your doc history. To view your Paper doc history:

• Click on the menu button, which appears as an ellipsis ("...") 💬 in the top right corner of the relevant doc > Click "Doc history".> In the "Doc changes" section, scroll to the point in time when you’d like to go back to & once you find what you’re looking for, you can click on the relevant button to Rollback to this version. 
(Tip: If you know roughly when the edit you’re looking for was made, you can quickly navigate on the doc changes on the menu on the right.)

PaperDocHistory1.png

That essentially means that if you accidentally delete part of your doc, you can always retrieve the latest saved version from there. Please bear in mind that once you restore an older version though, you can’t return to a more recent one.

I hope that my answer is helpful to you & I’m here to discuss it in more detail if you have any follow-up questions, just let me know here. Happy :memo: editing & I’m wishing you a wonderful rest of your day ahead! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

KleenKraft52
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you Jane. That worked. I have used the functions control C and control V, but I wasn't familiar with control Z. That's useful and it worked for me when I tested. That's really what I was looking for. Going back to an earlier version was already clear to me, but that's also a helpful tip. 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Ah, perfect, I’m so happy to hear that this shortcut did the trick for you :robot: @KleenKraft52 & thanks a lot for letting me know on this conversation! 

Don’t hesitate to let us know of any additional questions or thoughts you may have in the future & it’ll be a pleasure to discuss it again with you. Happy :memo:editing & I hope you have a fruitful week ahead! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Jason22
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

While trying to add a picture to my Paper's file, I hit "enter" and all of my collaborated notes, titles, and pictures were deleted.  Is there a way to recover my Paper's file with all of the last information inputed before the deletion? 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Jason22, while you could consult this resource on the relevant steps, I’ve also moved your post under this discussion here, just in order to ping you to my message to the OP above, since this info could be helpful while navigating on your Paper doc's version history. 

Please let me know how you get on with this suggestion whenever you get a chance & I’ll do my best to follow-up with you. Thanks in advance Jason! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Jason22
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you, Jane.  I found out how to recover my Paper document, but now I can't access the comments that were left on photos.  They seem to be there, but as soon as I click on them to read the whole comment, they seem to condense and move upwards.  It won't allow me access to the comments. 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Great, it seems like we’re on the right path @Jason22! Now, from what I gather from your description, it looks like you can access these comments & that’s merely a browser hiccup. 

For that reason it would be worth trying to access the restored Paper doc once through an incognito window/in private browsing window to see if you can see the comments there; would you mind giving it a go once? 

Please let me know if this additional step does the trick for you & we’ll take it from there! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Jason22
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you, Jane! I actually restarted my computer and gave it some time. and now I can access my comments.  Thank you for your help!  Take care! 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Amazing news @Jason22; pleased to see we got back on track :tram_car: so quickly & I appreciate it that you pinged me back with the outcome.

We’re always just a post away in case you have further Dropbox Paper-related questions or observations in the future, so don't hesitate to reach back out on the Community at any time. Cheers! 🤓

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    Jason22 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?