Did you mean: 

Permission of newly created docs

14 Comments
2 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4

Permission of newly created docs

Hi,

When creating a new doc with dropbox paper it's apparently shared by default with everyone on the web who has access to the link.

So if I create a new doc and copy the URL to another browser (private mode, no cookies, no dropbox login and so on) I can view the whole document. According to your help page https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/9171 you state "By default, a new doc is unshared and private".

Is this a bug or a feature?

14 Replies
Super User alumni

Re: Permission of newly created docs

If I recall correctly, this default behavior is intended. The reasoning behind this is for ease of sharing. That is, other Dropbox users cannot see the document by default, but those with the link to it are able to view it. Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, this can be changed on a per-document basis by modifying the sharing settings (in the same place you'd go to invite a user to edit or view it), but there is no way to change the default behavior.

Sorry about that.

Did this post help you? If so, please mark it for some Kudos below.

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so, please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post fail to resolve your issue? If so, please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember, we cannot see over your shoulder, so be as descriptive as possible!

Level 4

d'oh. And I thought I've finally found the perfect tool crying face
Super User II

Andy is not correct pewpew. It *IS* private and it *IS* secure. However, I assume you have Dropbox installed on your computer so you are constantly logged in to the website.

The only way to test it is to do it on a device without Dropbox installed or set up on.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 4

Hi Mark,

Nope, sorry. I just tested it.

1) created a new doc
2) opened the doc
3) copied the link
3.1) to another browser (firefox, private mode, no dropbox login, no cookies stored) > was able to view the doc
3.2) to a complete different computer, dropbox was never installed there nor am I logged in > can view the doc.

I have to set the permission for each individual doc to "People invited to this doc", the default is "Anyone with the link"

At least that's the setting for my account, there's no global setting.
Super User II

I *vaugley* remember that the links are public for a few minutes after last use to allow people time to click on them (i.e. you) when in use. But, I cnanot be 100% sure. I'd suggest logging a bug ticket at http://bit.ly/cm-support as they should be private.

They wouldnt be on 3.1 as the log on has nothing to do with the browser, it is if you have Dropbox software on the computer but should be on 3.2.

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 4

Paper is a webapp. So I'm pretty sure if I'm not logged in with firefox to dropbox it doesn't matter if it's installed. And I also tested it with a different computer where no Dropbox is installed. I'll file a ticket, of course. I'll also wait a few minutes on the different computer if the link goes back to private but it doesn't seem so.

So for now it's not "private".
Super User II

It does matter - trust me on this. It is linked to your Dropbox account (www.dropbox.com/home) which does exactly the same.

Level 4

Ok, what about the case that I have a computer where dropbox is not even installed? And also was never installed?
Super User II

Which is why I suggested logging a ticket as that isnt how it should work (and also said in my post that 3.2 should not work as it did).

For info you can track at http://dropbox.zendesk.com