Pledging our support for Water! Read more

Transfer from Business to Personal account

10 Comments
2 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2

Transfer from Business to Personal account

Hello there—

I transferred a large amount of documents from my old HackPad to Dropbox paper. Following the instructions, I thought it was necessary to set up a business account to do so — but many of the documents were actually personal.

How can I transfer documents from my business Dropbox Paper account to my personal?

Thanks!

Andy

10 Replies
Level 2

Re: Transfer from Business to Personal account

amdayton wrote:

Hello there—

I transferred a large amount of documents from my old HackPad to Dropbox paper. Following the instructions, I thought it was necessary to set up a business account to do so — but many of the documents were actually personal.

How can I transfer documents from my business Dropbox Paper account to my personal?

Thanks!

Andy

It looks like  you got no replies. I have a similar issue. I want to transfer files from my personal account to my business account, and  I use different email addresses for them.

Super User II

pmerv wrote:

I want to transfer files from my personal account to my business account, and  I use different email addresses for them.

Create a shared folder between the two accounts, and move the files into from the personal account. Then on the business account, move them out of the shared folder to a new location. They'll be removed from the shared folder, and the personal account.

Level 3

I don't know how to create a shared folder "between the two accounts." I do know how to share folders with individuals. I don't want to just give individuals access to the folders. I want to allow whoever is a member of the business dropbox at the time to have access to the folders. That list may change. I belong to the business dropbox account with a different email address from my personal account.

Super User II

@pmervine - do you mean you want to give people in the Business account access to folders within a personal one? If so the only way to do that is via a shared folder between the individuals. It isnt possible to do it between accounts.

If you mean you want to just share different things within the Business account have you looked at Teams? https://www.dropbox.com/help/business/free-teams-overview

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 3

Mark, thanks for trying to help me.

I uploaded a lot of business files to my personal account before we had a business Dropbox. Now we do and I'd like to transfer all those folders over. Our business pays for a business account, but when I tried to upload the second folder by the means I had discovered of sharing it with my other email address, I got a notice that I had almost run out of space on my personal basic account. So I'm looking for a more efficient way to transfer everything, as there is quite a lot. Maybe I should sign up for a monthlong trial and do it that way?

Level 3

I will try the team approach meanwhile.

Super User II

Hi pmervine - just do what was originally suggested.

Create a Shared Folder between the two accounts as that'll transfer the data quickest. It doesnt matter that you are the same person on both accounts.

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 3

Create a Shared Folder

Does this mean open the folder with one account and share with the email I use for the other account?

Super User II

Yes slightly smiling face

So open the folder in the Personal account and share it to the work one.