Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Unwanted participant emails in my file

Level 3

My dropbox paper file appears to be populated with a laundry list of email contacts that appear in the dropdown menus such as task assignment.  How can I remove all these unwanted and uninvited contacts?

Tags (1)
7 Replies

Re: Unwanted participant emails in my file

Dropboxer

Hey there @MyrtleRun - sorry to hear that!

As I'm not sure I understand, could you share a screenshot of this so I can have a visual too? Are these emails showing within a Paper doc you were invited to or one you yourself created sometime in the past?

Out of curiosity, do you see the same on other browsers, an incognito and/or after having cleared your browser's cache

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

Sorry for the delay. The problem I'm speaking of is in respect to the Invite button.  I have tried to undo the sharing of my Contacts list (though I'd love to be able to include a single group within my contacts.) But I still have two completely unrelated email addresses that appear under "Suggestions" to be selected when I click on the Invite button. I have no idea why these two random addresses have been selected as suggestions to Invite and I would like  to remove them. Is there a way for me to create a select list of participants from my contacts list - without having my entire contacts list included in the Invite drop down list?

Level 3

In short, I would like to edit and define the contacts list used in my Paper Docs.  But I cannot see how to do this. Can you help?

Thank you!

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information @MyrtleRun - I appreciate it.

Now, in regards to your first query, note that your contact list is created from many different surfaces on Dropbox. New contacts can be associated with your account in any of the following ways:  

1. You shared a folder/file/Paper doc with a Dropbox account
  2. A Dropbox account shared a folder/file/Paper doc with you
  3. You @mentioned a Dropbox account in a file comment or a Paper comment
  4. A Dropbox account @mentioned you in a file comment or a Paper comment
  5. You invited someone to use Dropbox
  6. A Dropbox account invited you to use Dropbox
  7. You imported contacts from a connected service (such as Gmail or Yahoo!)
  8. You were previously a member of a Dropbox team — your old team members will be in your contacts
  9. You took part in the Dropbox Space Race — other participating Dropbox accounts from your university will be in your contacts.

Now, kindly note that  you can remove remove contacts via:

https://www.dropbox.com/account

The “Clear my contacts” feature will clear any manually added contacts. All team members, and admin managed groups, will remain in the auto-suggestion box (if on a Team account).

Interacting with an email address that hasn’t been interacted with before (e.g. tagging in a comment, sharing a file/folder) will add that email address to your contacts. These then become the names and email addresses that appear in the suggestion box when sharing a file, either via the website or on a computer, or mobile device. 

If you have a paired account, you will see the saved contact removed from both your business and personal account. 

Contacts imported from connected apps, such as Gmail and Yahoo, are not removed by this action. Should you wish to remove these you may unlink the connected apps here: 

https://www.dropbox.com/account/connected_apps

I hope this information helps and please keep me posted on your progress. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

Thanks so much for your reply Walter. I will work on making these changes as you suggest and let you know if I am successful. The puzzling concern is that I'm not aware of having ever used in Dropbox, the two email addresses that appear as suggestions and would never likely have an occasion to use them here. I do not want them to be "invited" unintentially.  Thank you.

Level 3

Hello Walter, As you suggested, I did a "Clear" to clear manually added contacts (though these aren't the ones causing a problem.) And my Gmail contact acct does not show as being connected in the "Connected Apps" page. However, that full list is still present in all share dropdown boxes and Invite button AND the two random "Suggestions" in the Invite button are still present.  Have I done something wrong?

Level 3

Walter, since it appears that I am unable to manage the contacts that appear in my Dropbox application, I will not be using this program. Tkx.

Dropbox Paper

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Unwanted participant emails in my file
7 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post