cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Your browser cannot access the clipboard, so use these shortcuts instead" just occured in Chrome.

"Your browser cannot access the clipboard, so use these shortcuts instead" just occured in Chrome.

jace54
New member | Level 2

The error message just occured when I switched from IE to Chrome. I can use the keyboard shortcuts but would prefer to use rt.-click.  The fix displayed referred to Preview which I cannot find.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey @jace54, let’s look into that together! 

As you’ve mentioned that you’re only facing this error message in Chrome, I’d like to ask you if this persists through an incognito/private browsing window or even a different browser than your standard. Can you try that once & see if that amends the behavior? As an additional step, clearing your browser's cache would be helpful.

In case you’re in a work or school environment, can you please check whether you’re using the latest version on your browser (or if there’s a setting implemented that could affect your permissions on that device)

If that persists, please do let me know here & I’ll make sure to investigate what’s happening in more depth. 

I’ll be awaiting your next update here, in order to work together towards a fix. Thanks in advance & I hope you have a wonderful week ahead!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Pikamander2
Super User

Hi Jace, can you please list the steps to reproduce the issue? A screenshot or short video might also be helpful.

The issue is likely due to browsers limiting clipboard access for security reasons. You can read more about that  here and here. Google Docs often produces the same error for the same reason.

jace54
New member | Level 2

Hi Jane and thanks for quick response. I'll try to answer equestions here:

1. Alternate browser- Opened in Firefox and operation slightly better- Copy seemed to work but Paste showed the same "cannot access" message-

2. Incognito- no change to the original problem

3. Not at school or work and only loaded Chrome last week. Should be latest version.

Tried to upload a screenshot of the error msg but another error message appeared here.  Sounds like he may have identified it.

Quick note for what it's worth: today at first opening of Word online a quick message came up "cannot view in Preview" then disappeared and Word Online opened normally.

Jace

jace54
New member | Level 2

sorry I was referring to Pikamander2 who also posted on this issue. I'll try to attach screenshot again here.

Still didn't work got "An unexpected error has occurred" in a magenta box at top.

Jace

jace54
New member | Level 2

Pika, thank you for the response. Since I'm not advanced enough to understand (let alone utilize) the help pages you linked, I'll be satisfied simply to use the keyboard commands as shown in the error msg.

Not a big deal just a workaround that's pretty easy to remember. thanks for your help.

Jace

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for your swift reply here Jace (@jace54)! As some of the functionality you’re missing on Chrome works when switching to Firefox, then there has been some settings that has disallowed this JavaScript function that tries to access the local clipboard on your computer. 

As we’re here to help you out as much as possible & you’ve mentioned that you can’t upload a screenshot directly on our Forum, could you upload it on your account & share a link, so as to get a better understanding of what’s happening? Thanks in advance! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    jace54 New member | Level 2
    Pikamander2 Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?