Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

41.2 GB of 1.01 TB used -- told I need more space to upload 20 GB folder???

Mimi C.1 New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hello, I have Dropbox Pro and 41.2 GB of 1.01 TB used.   However, when I try to upload a folder with 20 GB of data in it, I get the message: "There is not enough space on Dropbox.  You need an additional 5.81 Gigabytes to copy these files."  This makes NO SENSE mathematically.  What gives?  

5 Replies 5

Re: 41.2 GB of 1.01 TB used -- told I need more space to upload 20 GB folder???

Super User II
Super User II

Do you have enough local hard drive space available?

Mimi C.1 New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

No actually, but that is why I am moving it to DropBox.  It does the same whether I try to Copy or Cut to Dropbox.  I can understand why it might say that if I am copying it, but it should not do that when I try to Cut it, since I am removing it from the hard drive when I do that.  In any case, it is not telling me that my hard drive doesn't have enough space, it says that my Dropbox doesn't.  

Super User alumni Richard P.
Super User alumni

I'm afraid you have misunderstood what Dropbox is - you arent removing the files from your hard disk, because Dropbox is a syncing system, not a remote drive. The files in your Dropbox folder are still there on your computer, taking up the same space they always do.

So it sounds like you are running out of space on your local computer - Dropbox cant help you with that.

pwf New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Rich/Richard - I am in a bit of the same predicament. I thought Dropbox Pro could sync from an external drive (that also has 1TB storage) and not need the local disk space...is this not the case? 

I am trying to put over 100 GB of raw photos up from an external hard drive -- is there any way to get around this? Is there any service (similar to Hightail, WeTransfer, etc) that will let you share/send over 100GB without needing that sort of space on your physical computer's hard disk?? 

Thanks in advance, this has been a learning experience!

-Pat

EDIT: Looks like maybe Mediafire's Pro account is best suited for this need? [External link removed by moderator]

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey
You can do it through Selective Sync (http://dropbox.com/help/175 for details).

Create a folder where you want to store these raw pictures, 'unselect' it from your computer (so it won't sync there) then upload the files through the website (dropbox.com) to that folder. It should work.

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?