cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A blatantly immoral way of dividing product tiers | Dropbox Plus vs Professional

Highlighted

A blatantly immoral way of dividing product tiers | Dropbox Plus vs Professional

New member | Level 2

I'm extremely baffled by the fact that a feature like Smart Sync is not part of the Plus-tier of Dropbox accounts, but what's even worse, existing features like password protected folders/share links have been removed from Plus since the elusive Professional tier was launched.

As a seasoned service designer I can confidently state that it's a rookie mistake (and/or immoral) to separate paid tiers based on features that clearly cripple the lower tier's usability (Smart Sync), instead of separating them based on added value (progression). But what's really poor practice and genuinely immoral is removing existing features from existing paid plans (password protected folders/share links). I have been a paid customer for quite some time and I feel cheated.

How can Dropbox be useful as additional storage to people if they can't comfortably manage their storage? Selective Sync is not an alternative guys... Smart Sync is clearly the only logical way (from a product design standpoint) to approach cloud based file management.

The Professional tier doesn't have any reason to exist, not in name (it's confusing because nobody will be able to unequivocally tell you which one is superior if you simply told them to answer based on name only) and in logical feature progression. In other words, most users will intuitively identify this as a money grab instead of a great way to gain real value.

You should honestly be ashamed for going down this path. I will jump ship the second I find a good alternative.

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: A blatantly immoral way of dividing product tiers | Dropbox Plus vs Professional

Super User II
Not sure if relevant or not, but, if you are already a Plus subscriber you have not, nor will not, lose any of the features you already have

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Re: A blatantly immoral way of dividing product tiers | Dropbox Plus vs Professional

New member | Level 2

Thanks for the answer Mark! That's good to know, but that's just a necessary evil to not get in trouble with existing users (and the terms & conditions that apply). Any thoughts on the main point I was trying to make? i.e. Smart Sync and the current way the paid tiers have been set up? Maybe there's a rationale I am missing and it's actually not the money grab based on a negative incentive I strongly feel it is. I'm open to be proven wrong. I and ~15 other CX consultants/freelancers I work with regularly (all Dropbox Pro er... Plus users) would honestly like to know. It ended up being an unanimous conclusion regarding the topic during our last meetup

Highlighted

Super User II
You know what, if I'm honest?

I'm simply not sure. And even with the 'Super User' tag I still love fact I can be open and honest here.

For me I have said for a long, long time that Dropbox needed more tiers but that these tiers did not need to all be quota/space related.

At this moment in time I can see the big differences between Plus and Professional but I'm not sure I'm using Professional to its full extent (Showcase... errr.... yes. Ok). I think the thing they missed with Professional is that it should have included additional quota (not that I need it, but as a differentiation) as I'm not sure Smart Sync, Showcase and the sharing control is worth it.

That being said. I am thrilled to see a product aimed at single users who need quicker support etc. being released. I've long, long, said that basic/Plus is not a business solution and should never ever be used as one if you need quick rollbacks etc. Simply put - they are home user products. So in that respect I think Professional is a good stepping stone, but, at this moment is still a bit lacking - it'll be interesting to see what it contains next year at renewal.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

You'd think with Microsoft's bundling of Sharepoint with O365 for business and their heavy investment in the development of the product, Dropbox would be trying to be more competitive and adding more great features, not removing them!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?