cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A client shared a huge folder with me but it went into my personal Dropbox...

A client shared a huge folder with me but it went into my personal Dropbox...

carpedog1963
Explorer | Level 4

and I had to purchase more space. This doesn't seem right. How do I fix this?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: client shared huge folder with me but it went into my personal Dropbox , , ,

Rich
Super User II

That's completely normal. When you join a shared folder it's added to your account and is counted against your storage quota.

If you only need to download the files and don't need the ability to edit or add files back to the folder, ask the owner to send you a Share Link to the folder instead. A Share Link will allow you to view and download the files without a Dropbox account.

View solution in original post

Re: client shared huge folder with me but it went into my personal Dropbox , , ,

Rich
Super User II
It depends what your needs are, and what you're trying to accomplish. If you're an individual, you likely don't need a Business account of your own, and I'm not sure where you would benefit from one based on the scenario above. Also, Business pricing is per month, per user, with a 3-user minimum, so check those prices and read the page carefully before you sign up for Business if that's your intent.

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II

That's completely normal. When you join a shared folder it's added to your account and is counted against your storage quota.

If you only need to download the files and don't need the ability to edit or add files back to the folder, ask the owner to send you a Share Link to the folder instead. A Share Link will allow you to view and download the files without a Dropbox account.

carpedog1963
Explorer | Level 4
I'm paying $12.99 a month. Do you think it would be worthwhile to upgrade to Business ($17.99), then?

Rich
Super User II
It depends what your needs are, and what you're trying to accomplish. If you're an individual, you likely don't need a Business account of your own, and I'm not sure where you would benefit from one based on the scenario above. Also, Business pricing is per month, per user, with a 3-user minimum, so check those prices and read the page carefully before you sign up for Business if that's your intent.

kp3
New member | Level 2

UGH, I have one BIG client and we work out of the same folder (they shared folder and pay for a business account) BUT MY account loses space? Dropbox is double dipping if I have to buy more space too!

Rich
Super User II
The folder exists in your account so it takes space in your account. Your account cannot benefit from someone else's paid upgrade. If they pay for a Dropbox Business account then you can have them invite you to the team using one of their paid licenses so you can share their space. Just be sure to use a new Dropbox account to join their team or you'll end up merging your current account into theirs (you'd lose your account and they'd own it, along with your files).

kp3
New member | Level 2
Hi Rich,

That is a helpful response. I just did a chat w Dropbox and they said I had to pay...SO thanks! I'll send to my client, and I'm opening a NEW account.

tyvm,
Kitty

carpedog1963
Explorer | Level 4

At $12.99 a month, consider it part of your business overhead.

kp3
New member | Level 2

I already pay for another storage software, which is cheaper with more space. Dropbox was my send files back & forth to small clients, was not expecting one big client to hog all my space...BUT now I understand how the game is played.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kp3 New member | Level 2
    carpedog1963 Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?