cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Dropbox of Defunct email address

Access Dropbox of Defunct email address

hmseen
New member | Level 2

I have a Dropbox account. It is registered using my former work email. But I am no longer an employee and I can no longer have access to that email address. The IT guy could not revive my account as well (the suggested solution from Dropbox was contact my email service provider)

I want to access my Dropbox account as I have some personal files in there too. 

I am unable to reset password as the reset instruction will be sent to my defunct work email addrees.

I can't sign in to my Dropbox account, even if I know my password, but it has now expired (the suggested solution from Dropbox was sign in when I remembered my password or when it has expired)

I chance upon another solution about setting the alternate email address to a particular account so that one can access the unaccessible Dropbox account. How can I do this so that I can at least take out the files from the account?

The chat bot is not helping with my predicament. I hope a real person with the know how could assist me or specifically from Dropbox Support team.

4 Replies 4

Re: Access Dropbox of Defunct email address

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@hmseen wrote:

I chance upon another solution about setting the alternate email address to a particular account so that one can access the unaccessible Dropbox account. How can I do this so that I can at least take out the files from the account?

Hi @hmseen,

You can login, without id (email) and password, only If you have connected mobile device. The workaround there is usage of "Connect a computer" feature. That's it.

Hope this helps.

hmseen
New member | Level 2

I don't think i can as well, as my other mobile devices are either logged out or defunct when i removed the HDD or upgraded or device gone missing.

Thanks for your solution.

If there are others who knows any other way, I would appreciate your feedback.

Rich
Super User II

@hmseen wrote:

If there are others who knows any other way, I would appreciate your feedback.

There are no other ways. Without access to the email address, you cannot gain access to the account. Perhaps you can contact your previous employer and ask them to temporarily recreate the address and forward you any emails from Dropbox. That way you'd be able to receive the reset information.

hmseen
New member | Level 2

@Rich thanks so much for your response. I will try to get them to recreate my email address. I hope they are agreeable. It has since been 2 years I left....so, things might not go as planned. 

@Rich wrote:

There are no other ways. Without access to the email address, you cannot gain access to the account. Perhaps you can contact your previous employer and ask them to temporarily recreate the address and forward you any emails from Dropbox. That way you'd be able to receive the reset information.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?