cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Account created with my e-mail address

Highlighted

Account created with my e-mail address

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Someone has created an account using my e-mail address, but it does not appear to be because my account was hacked. Is this possible? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Anyone can create an account with any email address. The address doesn't need to be verified until you try to share something (there may be other items that trigger verification as well). If someone has created an account with your email, you can easily take the account over by resetting the password for the account.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Anyone can create an account with any email address. The address doesn't need to be verified until you try to share something (there may be other items that trigger verification as well). If someone has created an account with your email, you can easily take the account over by resetting the password for the account.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I created a new dropbox account for a group I assist and everything went fine until I tried to access the new dropbox. Totally new email address was accepted by dropbox however when I try to sign in dropbox always goes straight to my personal account. the new address is totally ignored.

What did I do wrong?

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Email is hacked as well; not so easy!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Cherijb, sorry to hear that you’re experiencing strange activity on your account. If I were in your shoes, I’d try getting in touch with the email service provider at this point, since the issue at hand originated from the hacked email address. 

It would be worth noting that we use your email address to verify your Dropbox account ownership, so if you’ve now lost access to both, your best bet would be trying to regain access to your email address if possible & take it from there. 

I hope that this helps you clarify matters to a certain extent & please feel free to ping me here if you have more questions or thoughts!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?