cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account has been hacked and IMPOSSIBLE to contact anyone live at DB

Account has been hacked and IMPOSSIBLE to contact anyone live at DB

Romwango
New member | Level 2

Found out my account is listed under someone else's name and they put some pics there.  Using my email address and I guess they got my pw somehow.  I changed the pw so will this lock them out?  Should I delete their pics?  How do I remove them or should I delete the account and start afresh?

1 Reply 1

Re: Account has been hacked and IMPOSSIBLE to contact anyone live at DB

Rich
Super User II

@Romwango wrote:

Found out my account is listed under someone else's name and they put some pics there.  Using my email address and I guess they got my pw somehow.  I changed the pw so will this lock them out?

First, make sure the account is still associated with your own email address. If it's not, update the email address and change your password again. Then, visit your Security page and make sure there are no active devices or web sessions linked to your account that you're not familiar with. To be safe, I'd suggest removing them all just to make sure you're starting clean again. You can relink your devices to the account.

Also, it's highly unlikely that your your account was hacked, but it was compromised. Something like this happens when you re-use the same email address and password across multiple services, and one of those services becomes compromised. The attackers then try the emails and passwords they've found across all of the major services, hoping to find accounts where the credentials were re-used. I'd suggest registering your email address(es) with Have I Been Pwned? so you're notified about any other breaches involving your email address.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?