cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active account disappeared

Highlighted

Active account disappeared

Explorer | Level 3

My personal Dropbox account was linked to a business account to provide more storage for the work I was doing for that business. The work is done and the business unlinked my account. However, my account is gone now and I can't even get an email sent to login to the original account. Can you help me, please?

This is a new account because I can't access the old one. I need personal files from my old account. I am afraid that the other company has control of my box now.

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Active account disappeared

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @DK Stoney1, I hope you're well today!

When your account was unlinked from the Business team, can you clarify for me what kind of notification you received for this?

Do you remember the email address that this account was under?

Also, you mentioned not being able to receive an email to login to the account. Are you trying to reset the password perhaps for the account?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I didn't receive an email at all. I believe the email was [email removed as per Community Guidelines] or gmail.com. I can't be sure as I can't get a response when indicating "Forgot my password".

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @DK Stoney1!

Have you checked your spam/junk inbox for your email account to see if the reset was redirected there by mistake?

I'm wondering if perhaps the admin of the Business team may have deleted your account when removing your from the team.

I would suggest also reaching out to them to confirm how they removed you from the team. They would have either removed you as a member and converted your account back to an individual account, or removed you and deleted the account.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

It must have been the latter. I hope in the future Dropbox will find a solution to prevent this from happening. If a user's account is linked to another's, they shouldn't be able to delete the linked account.

The only reason to contact the company now is to blame them since the account is apparently gone, but that is not an option. I don't understand how you would not be able to determine what they did and recover my old account. Dropbox allows users to undelete files from months ago. Why can't Dropbox undelete my account?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?