cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add secondary email or change email on my account?

Add secondary email or change email on my account?

koolson
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I want to add another email to my account but there is no option to add a secondary email. I read and followed instructions here https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/settings-sign-in/secondary-email but I do not see the setting described. Is it possible only for paid accounts? Apparently I have Dropbox basic, in case that matters.

I need to have another email associated with my account so should I change my account to the new email?

I tried doing that but when I entered my new email I got a message saying that email already has an account. I don't know of any account I have using that email address.

What other options are there?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

koolson
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks Megan, 

I'm trying to delete the extra account but it keeps wanting me to provide my password and give a reason for deleting it.

It seems to be a blocker if I don't do that step. Is there a workaround? I will do it if necessary.

Karen

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @koolson, thanks for your message!

Secondary emails are only used for sharing files, and can't be used to sign into your account.

Regarding changing your email, as you received the message that an account already exists there, it means what it says, so you do have another Dropbox account under that new email. Try resetting the password for that Dropbox account and then login to see what files have been synced there.

As it isn't possible to have two Dropbox account with the same email, please let me know how you'd like to proceed from there on.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

koolson
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

Thanks for your help. I did that, logged into [email removed as per Community Guidelines]  and it looks like everything there is from 2017-18 so probably nothing too important.

Could I link that account with my other (main) one? I don't know if it is a "team" account.

My goal is to move away from using the work email [email removed as per Community Guidelines] (primary on the Dropbox account I use most) because I'm retiring.

Since I can't change that account to [email removed as per Community Guidelines] what do you recommend? 

I don't really need two accounts going forward but if they are linked that seems like a good start.

Thank you,

Karen

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @koolson, sorry to jump in here!

You can access the account you're not using, and delete it. That would essentially free up the email and you should be able to add it to your main Dropbox account.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

koolson
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks Megan, 

I'm trying to delete the extra account but it keeps wanting me to provide my password and give a reason for deleting it.

It seems to be a blocker if I don't do that step. Is there a workaround? I will do it if necessary.

Karen

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@koolson 

The workaround is to not log in for a year at which point its closed for inactivity. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @koolson!

Exactly what @Mark mentioned. 

If you choose not to sign into your account for a year or so, it will then be deactivated.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Mark Super User II
    koolson Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?