cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afraid I've lost my free space because of trial

Highlighted

Afraid I've lost my free space because of trial

Helpful | Level 6

I am a long-time user of dropbox.  Because I was such a fan of how it worked, I have gotten many many others to use dropbox.  As a result I had many gigs of space because each time a user added dropbox, I would get 500 megs of free space as a reward.

Recently I was talked into trying Droxbox Business on a trial basis.  I thought this would be a completely separate account and wouldn't impact my personal dropbox.  But I just looked and realized that my normal 2+ Gigs of space is now 5TB of space.  This is a problem because if I choose not to continue the trial, I'm afraid that I will go back to the standard amount of space and lose all the space that I worked very hard to get.

What can I do in order to end the Business Trial and keep my free space?  If I had known that losing my hard-earned space was a possibility I would never have agreed to the trial.

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Afraid I've lost my free space because of trial

Dropboxer

Hey @cjrhoads, I'd be happy to help out with this!

I can assure you that once the free trial ends on your account, or you cancel the trial, that the space you have previously earned for your account will not be affected or removed.

If you cancel the trial, your account will simply revert back to a personal account with the same plan you had previously (which I'm assuming would be Basic from what you've mentioned).

You can check out the steps to cancel the trial from here.

I hope this info can put your mind at rest, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Thank you so much!!  Yes, that does help me relax a bit.  I appreciate it @Daphne 

Which now brings up the next question - should I stick with Business or go back to personal.

As I noted, I've been an avid Dropbox user for years.  My non-profit has many programs, and many of those programs needs to share files.  So the capability I use the most is to set up a shared folder and then share the folder with several other people.  I probably have a dozen shared folders with various groups of people.  

Normally there is no problem - if people don't have dropbox themselves, I just send them the link with the specific file they need, which they can then download.  If they do have dropbox, they can edit the file directly on their system and it will sync so that I get the changes.  This worked fine until recently.

The reason I decided to try the business plan was that I had two people who needed to edit the files directly, but dropbox wouldn't sync because they were on the BASIC free plan and didn't have enough quota for the size of the folder.  I temporarily dealt with the issue by setting up smaller folders for each of them instead of one larger folder for both of them, and that enabled me to make the folder small enough that they could sync.  Then I tried the business dropbox plan to see if that would solve the issue and allow me to combine the folders again, which it did.  Currently, with the business plan, it is working fine.  We can all see and share the folders we need.  HOWEVER - we are a tiny non-profit, and $37.50 a month is a big bite of our tiny budget.  One of these two users doesn't really need to edit the files - he could get by just downloading them.  So now I'm thinking that it might be cheaper for me to pay for a Professional plan for the one person, and go back to the Basic Free version for me.  (Again, because of the earned space I have, I don't have the problem of running out of space and not being able to sync).

So here's my question:  What advantages are there to the business account that would make it worth the $37.50 a month fee for me?  We don't use dropbox paper or need history or file recovery beyond the 180 days .  I haven't really used the Admin console and can't really image what I would need it for.  When I was just using my Basic Free account, I controlled who could see what by setting up the shared folders, and that seems to work just fine.  (I was very happy to see that I can continue to set up shared folders with people who are NOT team members, because I certainly could not afford to pay for the dozens of people with whom I share various folders).    What would you suggest?

And MOST IMPORTANTLY - If I do decide to go back to my person folders (which I've just about decided, especially since I just found out that it is impossible to get rid of the stupid space in the folder name) HOW do I do that without losing all my shares and files?  Please help.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey @cjrhoads, thanks for checking in with us.

While Dropbox Business is a team plan, Dropbox Plus and Professional are individual plans. 

You can find what each subscription offers here, but at the end of the day, it's up to you to choose whether you'd like to stay with your current plan or downgrade to another. 

I know this doesn't exactly point you to a specific plan, but let us know if you have any other questions for us. 

Cheers!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Thanks @Lusil and @Daphne 

Actually, I've made up my mind, and now I just want to be sure that I can go back to the way things were without losing anything.

When I started the trial, Dropbox automatically created a separate folder called HPL Dropbox and asked me which folders to put into it.  Then Dropbox automatically created another folder called CJRhoads and apparently put all the files from my personal dropbox into it.  

What process should I use to get back to where I was before - which was to have a folder called DropBox and all my files in it (not inside another folder called CJRhoads).

Should I move all the files currently in HPL Dropbox to CJRhoads?  Should I not move anything and wait until I cancel the trial and it will ask me?  I'm just concerned that I can stop the trial and not lose my space and get back to where I was before.

Thanks

CJ

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us, @cjrhoads.

In that case, you can simply cancel the trial

Once you do that, you’ll return to the type of account you had before you signed up for the free trial, with all your active files. 

I hope this helps!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?