cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any plans for IPv6 support?

Any plans for IPv6 support?

New member | Level 1

Bought Dropbox pro to find out i can not use it on my IPv6 only connection, only on the IPv4

Come on Dropbox you can afford a IPv6 server !!

If anyone has a work arround please enlighten me

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: IPv6 Support??

Dropboxer

Hi all,

I realise this is a slightly historic thread, but I wanted to reach out to you all with some great news, the Dropbox desktop application now supports connecttion via IPv6 as per your requests!

Here some further information:

The Dropbox desktop app supports connecting on networks that utilize IPv6 addressing. To use IPv6, make sure you’re using version 24.3.xx or later.

If your internal network uses IPv6 addresses, then the desktop application operates within this environment. If your network changes to using IPv4 addressing then Dropbox will continue to run.

With a dual-stack IP implementation where both IPv6 and IPv4 are available, Dropbox uses the IPv6 network by default. If IPv6 addresses are slow to resolve, the app defaults to IPv4.

Thanks for your feedback!

View solution in original post

26 Replies 26

New member | Level 1

As a temporary solution i took an extra 5E/month hit and added an IP4 interface just for Dropbox.

This makes my Pro account alot more expensive :disappointed face: (60 euro/year extra)

Please Dropbox add a IP6 interface to your cloud !

Only thing you have on ip6 is your mail host , they already did part of your work. (thnx google)

Now the rest

Dropboxer

Hi there,

After checking in with our engineering team, unfortunately we can't commit to a timeline for IPv6 access right now.

We apologise for the inconvenience.

Best,
Sofia

New member | Level 1

I'd also like to chime in on IPv6 support. I noticed today after adding a IPv6-only proxy that Dropbox stopped working.

Please enable Dropbox to work on modern networks.

Dropboxer

Hi all,

Thanks for continuing to post in this thread. Our infrastructure team is still actively looking into this.

Thanks for your patience.

New member | Level 1

Dear Sofia,

Sorry to be blunt but they arent 'looking into it (or not properly)

They know how what and where (hell you have a mailserver running native IP6 already and your backbone supports it. so all of dropbox can with minimal effort

Security issues they cannot oversee might be a reason but to be honest if they know how their network is build up (and i surely hope they do) they can make the change prob within a week or less 

/sarcasm on

But IP6 hasnt been around for so long, only about 17 YEARS!!! (199 maybe in another 17 years .....

/sarcasm off

In the mean time for those like me on IPv6 only, use an alternative or start your own cloudspace (sad since dropbox was one of the best)

With Kind regards,

Werner

Dropboxer

Hi again,

Could you all please let me know what exactly isn't working? You mentioned before that adding your IPv6-only proxy broke some functionality. Was that for the client or for https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com as well? 

Thanks for the additional information. I'll be able to follow up with the respective engineering teams then.

Thanks

New member | Level 1

@Sofia,

The client stopped working on a Windows 8 PC. It seems the Dropbox client isn't able to use a HTTP Proxy that only exposes a IPv6 service to it. If i changed the proxy to use a v4 address it worked fine.

Haven't tested dropbox.com yet, but could test and return with results.

The proxy software used is called polipo.

New member | Level 1

dropbox.com works but the client spins on "connecting..."

Dropboxer

@Kristoffer: Yes please do test https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com as well. That would be good to know because the last time I did check with our web engineering team. But knowing that you are mainly having trouble with the desktop client on the proxy helps, I'll check with our desktop client engineering team now.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?