cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appears someone using my email

Highlighted

Appears someone using my email

Explorer | Level 4
I received a message to finish setting up my Dropbox. The problem is that I already have Dropbox using that email and it is set up, not to mention I was completely offline at the time it was sent. I went in and changed the password to my Dropbox for starters. Another thread indicates someone attempting to use my email would receive an error message, but it appears they may have successfully created an account, since it is recommending that I finish setting up the account. How can I manage this issue and prevent my email from being impersonated?
5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Appears someone using my email

Super User II

Do you use Gmail?

If so remember that you can add any sort of punctuation to the bit before the @ sign and also use @gmail.com or @googlemail.com for one account at Gmail BUT every other provider counts those as multiple. It may help to compare the email address you received the email to to what you actually use as a logon.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
I do not use gmail and the message came to my email account, indicating I need to finish setting up my Dropbox account. The message I received came from no-reply@dripbox.com.
Highlighted

Super User II

Its the to: line you need to be watching.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
I get that it is the “to” line I need to look at. A) I don’t use Gmail B) it came to my email address correctly as my address C) the message indicates I need to finish setting up my account (I did that a long time ago and have been using the account) D) I changed my password for safety E) it appears someone may have used my email to open a new account and I would really like it if someone at Dropbox could check on this for me, however, this forum seems to be the only way to attempt to get help
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi there @Janine25, thanks for the additional info, and great work with the troubleshooting so far. 

In this case, I'd recommend contacting our Support team from this link, without being signed in to your account, to have a better look into this matter. 

If you'd like, you can also let me know the ticket ID (eg. #1234567) that'll be created after that, so as to pass your comments along. 

Keep us posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?