Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive exceeding storage space

Stefan C.4 New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hi! i dont know if this issue was discussed or not, so i need your help. My storage space is 50 GB and my app says that only 6.6% (3.29 GB) is occupied, but i cant upload an archive of photos of 20GB because 'it needs space'. is there any detail im missing here? thank you in advance !

5 Replies 5

Re: Archive exceeding storage space

Super User II
Super User II

Are you certain that it's not referring to your local hard drive space? Remember, Dropbox is a syncing service. Your files exist both in the cloud AND on your computer.

New member | Level 1

the archives are on my computer ATM. i just want to temporarily upload the archive to dropbox so i can format the hard-disk.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi Stefan

In this case you should be able to upload using the desktop client and then you can use Selective Sync to 'unsync' them from your computer.

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 1

you did not understand my point...my dropbox space behaves like it is limited to 5 GB, but it says it is 50 GB (6.6% out of 50.2 GB). Selective Sync doesnt help me because the files are ONLY on my hard-disk and not on dropbox too, so i cant check them. whenever i want to upload a file, it says that i need 'an additional x gb to copy these files'. for example if i want to upload a 24 GB file it says that i need 16 more, if i want to upload a 6 GB file it says that i need 4 more. im beginning to think that my account is fake and i dont really have 50 GB on dropbox...

Super User II
Super User II

That sort of error doesn't come from Dropbox Stefan - as Rich said, its your hard drive. 

You need to make sure when you are copying data across that your HARD DRIVE has enough space to let you do it. 

Dropbox is a folder, using space, on your hard drive like every other one. 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?