cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempted Security Breaches: Common and Frequent?

Attempted Security Breaches: Common and Frequent?

avj525
New member | Level 2

Heyo

I have a friend whom I went to college with 4 years ago - whilst in college they started getting notified that someone was trying to log into their Dropbox account. Eventually the successfully did and my friend is still dealing with the reprecussions of this security breach, and the subsequent breaches it allowed. Additionally, I have other friends - from different parts of the world, with no affiliation to each other - who have also experienced attempted breaches on Dropbox.

4 years later, I myself am now being notified that someone is trying to log into my account. I have the proper precautions to avoid an actual breach, but it was attempted several times in Decemeber, and now again this morning. However this time, my friend messaged me saying that they also had an attempted log in this morning. 

I understand that in our case this is likely someone we both know, but that isn't my concern. My concern is - why are security breaches seemingly so common with Dropbox? I have never had such frequent occurances with any other platform.

And to be clear - I'm not looking for something to be solved here, I'm just interested in hearing what the Dropbox team thinks about this and if it indeed is a frequent and common issue. 

1 Reply 1

Re: Attempted Security Breaches: Common and Frequent?

Mark
Super User II

I have to be honest and say I've never heard of anybody have an issue - other than those who have had a virus etc. 

Are the peoples data showing up on things such as Have I Been Pwned

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?