cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempting to retrieve old account before deletion

Highlighted

Attempting to retrieve old account before deletion

New member | Level 2

Hello, I am trying to retrieve two of my old accounts from college (one was used for my school and the other was personal) before it gets deleted by Dropbox on a deadline. I have the email and password but it asks me for a two-step verification to a phone number I no longer have and to a backup code I very much likely lost over the years. Please help, I need to make sure there's nothing important in there.

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Attempting to retrieve old account before deletion

Dropboxer

Hey @Jazzheal, I hope you're well today!

Since you have two step verification enabled on the account, I'd suggest checking out the steps suggested in this article for the possible ways to regain access to your account.

If not, to see if there is anything that we can do to assist, you can reach out to our Support team from this page via an incognito window.

I hope this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
I am mortified and angry by the lack of investment in your desire to help. I did do all of that and it circles back here. And it seems to me that everyone else who asked similar questions got unresolved as well. So I got the idea, you guys can't do jack **bleep** for us and you guys assume we can keep your "backup codes" somewhere safe before Dropbox is the most important thing that's bustling on our yearly planners. Otherwise, it's our faults. Fantastic system. Got it 👍
Highlighted

Super User II

@Jazzheal wrote:
I am mortified and angry by the lack of investment in your desire to help.

You enabled an option on your account which prevents people from gaining access without the verification device or backup codes. Now, you're trying to gain access without the verification device or codes.

If any company allowed me into an account after I had lost the verification options for that account, I'd never trust them with security again.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
@rich so basically you're blaming the user for your unrealistic authentication system. When there are handful with this issue going unresolved, maybe have the humility to consider that it may be faulty design and not the users to blame. Have some empathy, penalizing human beings for forgetting 10 number code is unforgiving and unrealistic. Especially when I have been consistently logged in with my devices and got kicked out for some odd reason.
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
Also your argument is that it is my fault for choosing the two key factor authentication system. Isn't it logical that we should choose the safer route if the very services we use tells us that our data is not as safe? It's always a red flag when the user is being blamed for the developer's design
Highlighted

Super User II

Just to be clear, I'm a user, like yourself, and not part of Dropbox. I just happen to agree with their practices. If I enable higher security options on an account with any company, I'd lose all faith in that security if they allowed me to bypass due to a lost device.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?