cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic log out when browser is closed

Automatic log out when browser is closed

Henri2
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

First of all, "Select category" does not have "security" - option which is related to this my topic. Dropbox has several ideological and practical security issues and if security is not even a category it tells much about the ideology. Anyhow I love to use Dropbox but this one major issue bugs me:

"Remember me" on login page does not do anything. Whether it is selected or not my browser (Chrome/Win7) remembers the last session and lets me or anyone using the same PC get in. Automatic Login happens even after several days of the last usage of Dropbox on the browser.  The only way around this issue is to remember to Log out, every time.

Dropbox is the only service I know which works like this and this is a very critical security issue. Even activated Two-Step-Authentication does not help and browser let anyone in. 

In my opinion, if the user is so concerned about the security that Two-Step-Authentication is activated, should "Remember me" be disabled always as default and automatic Logout should take place once the browser is closed. Or just let the user select the security level.

Dropbox is the awesome system for professional and cautious users alone as a single user but this and other security issues are reasons why I would not select or recommend it for a larger team ever.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@nancymjohnson wrote:

So, the point of dropbox is so that I can access files from anywhere, change them, and get to them somewhere else, right?

Yes, that is how syncing, one of the core Dropbox features, functions, in order to keep your files up-to-date across connected devices and the website

However, when you unlink a device, it is no longer connected to your account, which in turn means that new changes applies to files won’t be shown on the device that you unlinked your account on. 

@nancymjohnson wrote:

If I click on the icon, dropbox opens automatically.

Yes, because the desktop app is running and is connected to your account. If you don’t want your desktop app to run, you can unlink your account from your computer

Let me know if you’d like something to be further clarified and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. :slight_smile:

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior or have a question, feel free to Ask for help from the Community here.]

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, @Henri2

Initially, it sounds like your browser continues to pick up cookies. Could you try clearing your browser’s cache, as well as giving incognito a try? If you’re still experiencing this behavior though, could you please try logging in through another browser and let me know if you’re still encountering the same result?

Furthermore, we recommend that you follow good security practices to protect your entire computer. For this reason, and if you’re sharing your device with someone else, I’d recommend creating another user profile on your computer for additional security. 

If you’re still encountering some trouble with this, we’d have to take this to email, in which case, I can contact you to your email address that’s associated with your Forum profile. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Out of interest @Henri2 do you have Dropbox installed on your device? If so that keeps you logged in.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

nancymjohnson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same issue.  My work computer was infected with ransomware, and they got into my dropbox account and infected all my files there, including sensitive information.  I have now changed my dropbox account to need a password and a code in order to get into it...the first time.  However, when I hit the icon on my computer (either at work or at home), dropbox automatically opens without asking for any confirmation.  How do I change it so that every time I open dropbox, it asks for the additional protections?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there, @nancymjohnson

Initially, please note that if you’re referring to two-step verification, then enabling it means that Dropbox will require a 6 digit security code (in addition to your password) when you sign in to your account or link a new device. 

Furthermore, please remember that by signing into your account through the desktop app, you link the device to your account. If you’d like for the device to stop being linked to your computer and to ensure that it’s not connected to your account, you can unlink your device. This way, the desktop app will ask you every time you want to sign back in for your credentials.

However, please bear in mind that this means that files in your Dropbox folder will not be syncing and any changes you apply there or through other devices and the website will not be reflected. Moreover, even when you unlink the desktop app, your Dropbox folder will continue to exist on your device, but instead be just another folder without any syncing capabilities. 

I hope this helped clarify a bit more on this. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Henri2
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, I've seen this issue with three different computers. One of them does not have Dropbox installed.

Henri2
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Lusil,

How Dropbox should work in this specific case?

I'm not reading this email linked to Dropbox. I had an idea to use the very random address as the username for additional login security. This was unnecessary though because Dropbox username is distributed for all I'm working with / share folders because the email address is publicly shown.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey again, @Henri2

It sounds like you’re referring to shared folders, is that right? If so, then please note that currently there isn’t a way to hide the members of the shared folder who have access to it, although I’d be more than happy to pass your comments along to the dev team. 

If you have any other thoughts, or if I’ve misunderstood your concern, please let me know. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

nancymjohnson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So, the point of dropbox is so that I can access files from anywhere, change them, and get to them somewhere else, right?  If I understand what you are saying if I unlink a device, I won't get any changes that I made somewhere else, right?  The problem seems to be when I click on the icon rather than go through dropbox.com.  If I click on the icon, dropbox opens automatically.  If I go through dropbox.com, it asks for verification.  It sounds like I need to delete the icon from my computer and always use dropbox.com to access my files.  Is this correct?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@nancymjohnson wrote:

So, the point of dropbox is so that I can access files from anywhere, change them, and get to them somewhere else, right?

Yes, that is how syncing, one of the core Dropbox features, functions, in order to keep your files up-to-date across connected devices and the website

However, when you unlink a device, it is no longer connected to your account, which in turn means that new changes applies to files won’t be shown on the device that you unlinked your account on. 

@nancymjohnson wrote:

If I click on the icon, dropbox opens automatically.

Yes, because the desktop app is running and is connected to your account. If you don’t want your desktop app to run, you can unlink your account from your computer

Let me know if you’d like something to be further clarified and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. :slight_smile:

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior or have a question, feel free to Ask for help from the Community here.]

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    nancymjohnson New member | Level 2
    Henri2 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?