cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating Folder Size goes on forever

Highlighted

Calculating Folder Size goes on forever

Helpful | Level 5

I'm trying very hard to get the actual sizes of my folders in my Dropbox (sync its obvious the local sync'd sizes are not a true reflection). I know you can do "Calculate Size" on folders on the web interface (which itself is ridiculous, it should just show), but it only seems to work with tiny folders with minimal sub folders. Eg Ive been trying with these two folders that I know are rather large and have many levels of sub folders, and it just gets stuck at "Calculating...". Just for fun I even left it overnight, and after over 24 hours it still looks like this. My questions are

1) Any idea why this is happening

2) Any idea how else I can get my folder sizes, without going into the subfolders one by one?

3) Am I a conspiracist if I think that Dropbox is purposely making this difficult to force us to subscribe to upgrades?

Capture.PNG

28 Replies 28
Highlighted

Re: Calculating Folder Size goes on forever

Dropboxer
Hey Sam, since the folders are large as you say, we would recommend firstly doing the parent folders one at a time, instead of doing two large folders.

The time it takes to calculate depends on how many subfolders and files you have within that folder.

You see this behavior on desktop devices when viewing properties on folders too, calculating the size as it continues to grow in size with each file/subfolder it detects. The Dropbox server has to do the same thing.

While I can’t give an estimate on how long it takes, at the very least, for one folder it shouldn’t take more than one night of calculating.

If you want to calculate the size yourself, then assuming the files are downloaded to your machine, you can conduct the check yourself in Finder/Explorer.

Regarding your last question, seeing as this option is available for all users, and that there aren’t any additional size calculations for paid users, I’m not sure how this would apply.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for the reply. I have actually tried one folder at a time, but gave up after a few hours, which is why I thought I'd leave the 2 folders that I needed overnight. Anyway I will try leaving one folder overnight and see what happens

On checking the local folder, I did that, but the local sync doesn't match what Dropbox tells me my utilization is (about 5 GB local vs 8GB online). From what I read in forums, this is normal because of the way Dropbox manages local sync, but it does mean the only way I can know my true folder sizes is online. 

On my last question, what I meant was, by making it difficult to get your folder sizes, it makes it difficult to figure out where your space is being consumed and therefore difficult to optimize and keep my usage within my limits, is this a way to force people to subscribe to paid (therefore higher limits) rather than deal with space issues. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
I’ll have to admit that I’ve not heard of cases where users have to upgrade their storage since they don’t know where their large files are located on their account!

However, you do make a fair point. Aside from the plan page, which shows how much of your quota is from shared or non-shared files, there isn’t a further breakdown. Calculating folder sizes does work, but might not be ideal for all users.

I’ve passed this feedback to our dev team for them to look into this further to see if something can be done to help breakdown where the majority of quota is taken up on an account.

Let us know how it goes in regards to the folder size for one folder!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
Hi AgentJay
Well its approaching 24 hours now and its still "Calculating...", so I'm not very hopeful.

yes that would be a very useful feature. Thanks
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Hey @samw

Thanks for the update. I’ll be letting @Jay know about this, so he can add it to his feedback report. Can you tell me what browser you were using, and if you experience the issue when using different browsers

Cheers! 

Sanchez

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
Hi @Sanchez, I'm using Google Chrome, unfortunately I haven't tried with other browsers
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Thanks, @samw

From time to time, as browsers evolve, functionality and results can vary greatly between them. If you get a chance to try another browser (Firefox would be great), I’d love to know the result

Cheers!

Sanchez

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Same experience with folders >100 GB on Chrome, Firefox, and Safari on Windows and OS X. I waited 24 hours and it was still calculating. It would be great there was a way to get information on where my largest folders/files are. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Hey @Ashvin B.

Thanks for chiming in and letting me know what you’re tried. I’ve sent the comments from this thread over to our team, so their aware. 

In the meantime, if you use our desktop application, you can get the size of files and folders using your operating system’s file browser

Cheers

Sanchez

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?