cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can I change the currency without losing my files?

Can I change the currency without losing my files?

curlSloth
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

I just moved from Canada to the US, and thus I would like to pay my Dropbox subscription using my US credit card. 
According to this discussion (https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/payments-billing/change-billing-currency), I have to cancel my current Dropbox subscription and re-subscribe using a new billing address in your desired country.

My worry is that once I cancel my subscription, I will lose my online files. I have many files (200 GB) which are only stored online, but not in any local computer.
The previous discussion on this topic (https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Accounts-billing/I-d-like-to-change-my-Dropbox-plan-amp-revert-back-...) only said that Dropbox just won't synchronize, but it did not explain what would happen to the online-only files.

Please let me know what's the painless way to do this. Thank you all!

19 Replies 19

John P.50
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm in the same situation and the "resubscribe" advice is not clear because when users click on resubscribe, all they see is offers in the same currency they had before.

Folks, I've just done it, and it's fine. All you have to do is click on "purchase" and you will then be given the option to choose a new billing country using new payment details. The currency and the offers then change to whatever is relevant to your local area. I've just switched from a Plus plan in AUD to the same in EUR and it all worked fine, no files lost.

But yes, the help instructions could be a LOT clearer!

MarcEHJones
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Many thanks for the detailed reply. You're a star. Did you lose any of the bonus data space that you had from previous reconmendations?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @MarcEHJones, thanks for messaging today!

Any quota you've earned on your account would remain when you downgrade, so they'll still be there when you upgrade.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

frozenburger
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm on the same situation, going from CAD to USD. The question is: Once I downgrade to basic, do I have to wait until the Professional plan runs out? The message I'm getting from dropbox is that I'll stay on Professional until 8/4.

Any guidance from dropbox? 

I tried to upgrade to Professional but it automatically picks up the old plan (with the old currency)

Thanks

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @frozenburger, you're correct, you need to wait until the plan fully downgrades to Basic, and appears as such on this page.

Once you're back on a Basic plan, you can upgrade on the site again and pick the correct country for the billing details, which would change the currency for you.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Chris Morris
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

you don't need to worry about that because the dorpbox is providing service to secure to your data. If you feel your data is misuse you can file against the company that provides services to secure the client data.

MarcEHJones
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

So again to double check if I downgrade I don't lose any data even if my data storage exceeds the basic plan?

I simply can't access it or continue to save to it until I renew?

Many thanks

Marc

MarcEHJones
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It says "Cancel Plus plan, If you cancel your plan, your account will drop from 2.01 TB to 2 GB of space (plus any bonus space earned previously".

Once I renew in a difference currency, I get 2.01 TB back as before and no data lost?

Aaron G.6
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Since there is little help, I will share my experience:

I downgraded the night before it expired, just to make sure there is no confusion (as my bank account attached had closed, since I'd left Australia). During this time I was able to access my storage but not add to it, and my auto-uploader gave me warnings. Once the expiry date passed, I added my new plan in the new currency and paid, and I had the same 2Tb storage with all my files accessible and uploading worked again automatically.

It was less stressful than I had imagined but more challenging than I had hoped. Dropbox needs to make this easier because people move and need to change currencies all the time.

MarcEHJones
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you so much! Sounds like a very similar situation to me (I'm trying to change s 2TB plan from Australia to UK). Have a good week!

Need more support?