cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can't Upgrade, Can't Call Customer Service

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm trying to upgrade to Dropbox Pro. I've put in all my payment information and checked 3 times to make sure it's correct, but it keeps saying there's an error with my payment. I checked my credit card account and saw that I have enough money to make the purchase, so I don't know why it won't let me use my card to upgrade.

There is also no customer service that I can find, and it seems to be impossible to speak to an actual person or send in a question. The "Help" center isn't very useful if it doesn't have my question.

How can I contact someone or make Dropbox work?

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Can't Upgrade, Can't Call Customer Service

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

At least you get an error!

Absolutely nothing happens when I try to 're-upgrade' from Basic back to Pro.  Hit the 'Buy Now' button, and it doesn't even try to submit the card details.

Good luck with contacting someone who can actually help, and good luck making dropbox work, too.  If you are fortunate someone from dropbox will respond in a few days, giving you a solution which doesn't even come close to addressing the problem.  Maybe a few days after that they will rectify it.

Highlighted

Super User alumni
Super User alumni

Allison,

There are issues with some card providers, I had one card that would always block Dropbox. They even told me it would go through but in the end it was always rejected. I ended up having to use another to upgrade my account all those years ago. The same card still works.

A lot of the credit card companies have issue with Dropbox and or other cloud/internet services based upon some internal decisions. Often its necessary to contact the fraud prevention department or such. Especially true, if you live outside the United States, in my experience.

All the above is just from me experiences in the forums. I was simply trying to give you a footing to start from. I wish I could do more but unfortunately only the staff or your credit card company can help at this point.

Phone support is only available for Dropbox for Business customers. Basic and Pro customers can contact the staff via the support ticket method.

https://www.dropbox.com/support 

* When you choose a topic, in the section click account and then help with other topic. The system is design to help you find self help answers. Its not the best at just getting a ticket sent. 

Highlighted

Super User alumni
Super User alumni

Scott, 

Again as in the other thread this is the user to user support forum. All you are doing is talking to other users. Dropbox staff interaction is not guaranteed.

If you wish to talk to the staff you will need to submit a support ticket. Including for such issues as billing. I am sorry you have had issues but we are just other users like yourself. I am afraid I/we just don't have access to the systems necessary to help you.

Just from the basic info you provided here, it sounds as if you need to try another browser. It sounds like something is preventing you from interacting with the payments page. That usually means the browser. We very often have to suggest alternate browser to people as a browser update may break functionality on the site or an update on the site may break something in the browser like submissions etc.

We have had pretty good results by using other browsers when its suggested. Its no guarantee it will solve your issue. However its a good place to start. 

https://www.dropbox.com/support 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Tom,

I am aware that I am not talking to 'dropbox' - but that is because it is hard to contact them; designedly so.

I have tried other browsers, including IE, Chrome and Firefox.  

I have also submitted a support ticket, which (when they responded) they misinterpreted, provided a 'solution' and told me that if it was still happening I need to contact the payment vendor for further assistance.  If only it was a problem with the payment vendor - at least I can speak to them!

The issue has been experienced by others too - presumably it has been resolved but there doesn't appear to be any solutions posted here.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Same problem as those stated above. Trying to upgrade and nothing happens when I click "Buy now." It's definitely not a problem with my financial institution. And there's apparently no way to talk to representatives of Dropbox for further assistance. Disappointing. 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I tried 3 browsers and 4 devices before I found one which worked.  In the current 'customer service' world, the level of "let's make it hard for our customers to contact us" is pathetic.  It will take several days for 'support' to contact you after you have submitted a ticket, and even then it will take about 3 different staff (and more days) before they understand it is not a problem with your card.

Just go find a PC or device somewhere else and try it on there. Or try Hightail?

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?