cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access my old email

Can't access my old email

JMHanson
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I do not have access to my old email anymore.  My only email is linked to a different Dropbox account so I can't change my email address!  Help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

No. Without access to the email you cannot usually do very much to an account. You can certainly not change or reset passwords etc. 

What I would say is to download everything as a matter of urgency is download everything from the account safely NOW. If you are accidentally logged out for any reason then the account is not recoverable - there is no way, at all, to get a password reset without having access to the email. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @JMHanson, thanks for joining the Community!

Could you please clarify what issue you're currently experiencing?

Do you have an old Dropbox account with an old email address that you can't access?

Are you trying to change the email on your current account?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JMHanson
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have 2 accounts in Dropbox.  My one account has an old email that I do not have anymore. I tried to change it to my current email but that one is active on my other Dropbox account.  I cannot be emailed to my old email when I want help to change it.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Are you able to login to the old Dropbox account itself?

Could you create a new email address which can use in order to change the old email to this new email?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JMHanson
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I was really hoping to not have to make a new email.  Is there any help to resetting my password without doing that?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

No. Without access to the email you cannot usually do very much to an account. You can certainly not change or reset passwords etc. 

What I would say is to download everything as a matter of urgency is download everything from the account safely NOW. If you are accidentally logged out for any reason then the account is not recoverable - there is no way, at all, to get a password reset without having access to the email. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

KateM2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I am having exact issue - After talking to apple and Microsoft regarding the “unreadable” status of my files I’ve concluded it’s Dropbox. Since I still had access to the files it hadn’t occurred to me that since I retired my email attached to that account no longer exists.
I can SEE my files. I can not OPEN them.

By dragging folders to my desktop will they be downloaded? And then I put them in my new DB?

AleTheLadyInRed
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm experiencing the exact same thing. I had a Dropbox account with a student email address, provided by my old University, but since I'm no longer in Uni, the account was deactivated by Google, so I can't get the confirmation email needed to access Dropbox. What can I do to retreive my files? Thank you

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@AleTheLadyInRed the only way to do this is to get the university to reactivate the email address. There is no other way to get the files. 

JRHope
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

I had an account with an old email that I can no longer access. I have a separate drop box that I do use.  Somehow I am still got charged $99 for the old drop box that I can no longer access but I am being told my account that I do use it at max capacity and I need to upgrade.

Can I get help transferring the credit to the account that I still utilize?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Darko G.1 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?