cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can´t change billing from Apple to credit card even though subscription has expired!

Highlighted

Can´t change billing from Apple to credit card even though subscription has expired!

New member | Level 2

I have a Dropbox account originally purchased via Apple. The subscription expired yesterday and I want to change it to a credit card payment, not via Apple. 

My Dropbox account however tells me that my billing is still managed via Apple, but the Apple people tell me that since my account is expired I should be able to renew via Dropbox itself. When I access DB via "subscriptions" on my iPhone there is no option to cancel, only renew. 

So, neither Apple nor Dropbox seem to be able to let me change the billing info on this expired subscription. 

Any suggestions?

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Can´t change billing from Apple to credit card even though subscription has expired!

Dropboxer

Hey there Oskar - sorry to hear about this. 

I understand your previous subscription which was purchased through Apple expired yesterday and you'd like to upgrade via our own website directly - correct me if I'm wrong please.

Could you please take a look at your account's plan tab and let me know what it reports at the moment? If it still shows your previous subscription and not a Basic plan it's possible that our system is still trying to re-bill you (we don't downgrade accounts during this period) and that's why you're unable to do this. If that's the case, you'll need to cancel your subscription following the steps outlined in the following Help Center article: 

https://www.dropbox.com/help/billing/downgrade

Specifically:

1. In your Dropbox app, tap Account.
  2. Tap Change or Cancel Plan.
  3. Tap Manage your subscriptions.
  4. Open the iTunes Store.
  5. Select the new subscription plan of your choice.
  6. Tap Confirm.
  7. Start the Dropbox app on your iOS device.

You may need to restart the Dropbox app to see these changes take effect.

If for any reason you're having issues with this, please let me know so I can reach out via email to your Dropbox associated address so we can work on this together. 

Thanks in advance @oskarorn!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Can´t change billing from Apple to credit card even though subscription has expired!

New member | Level 2

Thanks for your reply, Walter. 

You are not wrong. I want to switch from a subscription via Apple to one paid directly to Dropbox with credit card. Without losing any of my stuff, of course.

Here´s the status: On a PC, on my personal account, under Plan it still says "You purchased Dropbox plus through the iOS app" and then directs me to the App store. 

If I open the DB app, click Account and then "Change or cancel plan" I am not given the option of tapping "Manage your subscriptions". That´s just the headline at the top of the screen. Then there´s info on my current plan and a link to the Apple Help Center for cancellations and changes. 

If i open the App store on my device through my Apple ID, tap Subscriptions and then Dropbox, I get no option to cancel. Only different options of renewing. Presumably also via the App store. Which I don´t want. 

So, I still see no way of changing my (expired) subscription from one paid through Apple to one paid directly to Dropbox. 

A bit Kafkaesque, this. It does make you toy with the thought of giving up on these tech giants running your life and just making for that cabin in the woods. Not really, though. 

Any suggestions?

Best regards, Óskar Örn

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear this persists Óskar - could you share a screenshot of the options you get when you go to manage your subscription through the app store on your iOS device? 

Also, if we don't manage to resolve this here, would it be OK if I reached out via email to your Dropbox associated address to work on this together? 

On a side note, kindly note that if your account is ever downgraded, Dropbox will not delete any of your files.

If your Dropbox folder becomes over quota all that should happen is that syncing stops. Dropbox will only sync until you hit your quota, so if you are over quota all that should happen is that Dropbox will not sync any new files.

You can also read more about this in our Help Center:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/billing/subscription-promotion-expire

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

What ended up being the solution here? :/

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Since Oskar never got back to us, I'm afraid I won't be able to tell what worked for them after all @hellscaper.

Are you having the exact same issue? Could you provide some additional information (and screenshots) so I can try to help?

Thanks in advance and welcome to our Community!

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I am having a similar problem with my Dropbox account. I opened an account through iTunes to use only the 1-month free trial, and then cancelled my trial through iTunes settings (as directed on your Dropbox help page) well before the expiration date. Now, the trial period has expired, but I just got a bill for the first month for a Dropbox Plus account. I was completely surprised because I knew that I had already cancelled the subscription through iTunes, and checking on my iTunes subscriptions, it says that my Dropbox subscription has "Expired" with the options only being to "renew". Today, I got an email from Dropbox telling me I have an active account that cannot be billed through iTunes, and that Dropbox will continue to try to bill me. What the hell.  Well, of course, since I already cancelled my iTUnes subscription, I should not be billed at all.

I would like to completely cancel this subscription immediately. I think it is unfair to be billing me for a new month's subscription since I cancelled through iTunes well before the trial expiration date.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?