Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can't change password as account under a freeserve email which no longer exists

Explorer | Level 3

When I first set up dropbox it was under a "freeserve" email address. As you are probably aware, all freeserve email addresses were closed a couple of years ago. I have my files synchronised bewteen a desktop, a laptop and my phone. I have just changed my phone and that is when I discovered it was linked to the defunct freeserve email address. I can get into my dropbox account on my desktop but when I try and change the password I am unable to do so because I don't have the existing one. Please advise how this can be resolved.

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Can't change password as account under a freeserve email which no longer exists

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for posting about this @hut2

This is an unfortunate situation, however I must say you are very lucky! 

If the email is not accessible and you don't know the password, logging into your Dropbox account, is unfortunately impossible. BUT.. you do have access to your files!

So all we need to do, is take the files out of this account and start over the right: 

1. Drag and drop the files from the local Dropbox folder to your desktop.
  2. Unlink the account and create a new Dropbox account with a valid email address to upload these files to.

Let me know if you need more help with the steps or if you have any other questions. 

Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Re: Can't change password as account under a freeserve email which no longer exists

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Fiona,

That's great - thanks. There's just one problem I have. On my existing "free" dropbox account I have 9.25GB of storage. If I create a new one I believe I would only get 2GB of storage. Can this be increased to the 9.25GB I currently have?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Oh! That's OK. We will transfer the referral space. After you create your new Dropbox account get back to me here and I will take care of this for you. 

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Ok. I've created a new account under a new email. What details do you need?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Allow me to send you an email at the address associated with your Community profile, to protect your privacy. 

We will take it from there. All I will need you to do is respond to the message I will send you from your new email address. To do this, you willcc the other address to our email and you will respond to the email with your other address. 

Talk to you soon via email. 

This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to create a new topic here. 

Fiona

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?