cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't cut and paste between different documents

Can't cut and paste between different documents

hotdiggetydog
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Whether on my Macbook Pro or my desktop Mac, I can't cut and paste between different Excel spreadsheets.  I've tried using the tool bar options, then right clicking my mouse, to Copy and Paste and finally just Cmd + C and Cmd + V.  I can get the area I want selected, but when I try pasting I get the message "Your browser can't access the clipboard, so use these shortcuts:   Ctrl C, Ctrl V".

I spoke to Apple who just clarified they use Cmd, not Ctrl, but thought it was a Dropbox problem.  Anyone have any ideas?

(I lost a whole load of files as well - all vanished at 11.22 yesterday when I was nowhere near my computer. Recovered them, but a bit nervewracking!)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Perfect, welcome to our community! 

You’ll need to open these files with a local or online app that can edit them. 

If you’re trying to do this while viewing your files online, on our website, you may be seeing the preview, in which you can not edit your files. 

Have a great weekend :sunglasses:

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Hello, thanks for reaching out to us, first off, it sounds like you are using the web interface (Browser) to move, upload files,  Browser is not really designed to accept pasting of files since it's not a file manager.  Have you tried to drag and drop?  you can drag the file or files and drop it on the web page for it to upload.

Have you considered using a Desktop Client?

Let me know if this helps

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

hotdiggetydog
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Tried opening two pages side by side and dragging and dropping, but couldn't make it move.

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Okay, I see what is the issue.  You are not uploading from your computer to Dropbox.  Do your files reside only on Dropbox Servers?  you need to use the move option.  Go to the file and you will notice 3 dots at the far right-hand side, click on them and a menu will show and select move, then follow the prompt and select the final destination.

Do you have a Dropbox icon in your system tray?  if so, did you know that you are running a Desktop client that syncs all files inside your Dropbox folder that is a literal folder on your computer?  If you do have an icon in system tray, click on it and select an icon that looks like a folder, that will take you to your Dropbox folder.  Any files you see there is synced to Dropbox Servers (Cloud) and to any linked Devices.

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

hotdiggetydog
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes, my files reside only in Dropbox, as they are used by various members of our charity team.  But I'm not trying to move the whole document, I only want to copy part of one Excel spreadsheet (about 20 lines) and move it into another Excel spreadsheet.  I don't think I have the option to move part of the document when it is opened up from Dropbox in Excel online?

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Dropbox is just a syncing tool and yes, it has features that use Excel but as far as features that Excel uses, it's not Dropbox issue.  I am not familiar with using Excel Online but once a file has changed, even adding a period, it will sync those changes to all linked devices.

Perfect
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I didn't see an answer to copying a few cells or lines of data from one file (in Dropbox) to another OR even within the same file.  Is this possible?  I work on a Mac.

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Hello Perfect

You should be able to,

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Perfect, welcome to our community! 

You’ll need to open these files with a local or online app that can edit them. 

If you’re trying to do this while viewing your files online, on our website, you may be seeing the preview, in which you can not edit your files. 

Have a great weekend :sunglasses:

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

hotdiggetydog
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Sanchez

I think your answer may be a little confusing.  It is perfectly possible to edit files in dropbox.com, once you have opened up from the preview, but there is still some limited functionality.  

If you are using dropbox.com you cannot cut and paste between files.  You can only do this when you have installed the Dropbox application, which downloads copies of all your files to your hard drive, and then open up two separate folders.

Happy Bank Holiday UKers

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    world_darya New member | Level 2
    djulia New member | Level 2
    hotdiggetydog New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?