cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't cut and paste between different documents

Can't cut and paste between different documents

hotdiggetydog
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Whether on my Macbook Pro or my desktop Mac, I can't cut and paste between different Excel spreadsheets.  I've tried using the tool bar options, then right clicking my mouse, to Copy and Paste and finally just Cmd + C and Cmd + V.  I can get the area I want selected, but when I try pasting I get the message "Your browser can't access the clipboard, so use these shortcuts:   Ctrl C, Ctrl V".

I spoke to Apple who just clarified they use Cmd, not Ctrl, but thought it was a Dropbox problem.  Anyone have any ideas?

(I lost a whole load of files as well - all vanished at 11.22 yesterday when I was nowhere near my computer. Recovered them, but a bit nervewracking!)

13 Replies 13

djulia
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

HI - I am trying to cut a line from one tab on my excel file through dropbox (on-line version of excel) and I can't paste onto another tab (not another document, same document, different tab).  Is this a malfunction or an oversite in ability to edit?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there, @djulia. Sorry for the late follow up here on your query!

This kind of editing is possible via the online Microsoft Excel integration, although I would suggest to work within the same tab when working on the same file online.

For example, cutting a line from one tab and then pasting it in another, the web version may not be able to recognize you have pasted that text. In this case you may find that the text remains on the previous tab. 

If you are still having this issue, please try cutting and pasting (within the same tab) using another browser, an incognito window and then clearing your browser cache and let me know if this helps.

Looking forward to your reply - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

world_darya
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Could you please share what these apps are? and if I am using a computer? 

In my case I can't copy text in .pages. Nor I can save these doc on my computer. 

What can I do to work on the files normally without these restrictions (and the access by the author to edit etc I have).

Thanks 

Darya

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for joining us here @world_darya!

Can you let me know how Dropbox comes into play with this? From the issues that you mentioned it might not be something related to Dropbox.

Since Pages are a Mac app, are you perhaps using a Windows device to open these files? It may be that you need to convert them into a file type that is compatible with your computer or open them in Microsoft Word instead if you don't have the Pages app installed.

You can check out more info about this here.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    world_darya New member | Level 2
    djulia New member | Level 2
    hotdiggetydog New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?