cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can't delete files from my Dropbox account?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I can't delete files from my my online dropbox storage area. I need to clear some old backups to have space for more new ones but I can't seem to delete anything.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Problem deleting/renaming files

Helpful | Level 5
Debbie,

My issue turned out to be a browser problem. Safari 6.1.6 does not work well with the present Dropbox platform. I had no problems using Google Chrome. I'm planning to upgrade my Mac OS to Yosemite (Safari 10). Hopefully that will work. We should probably check the Dropbox site for information on system requirements. I would have thought that Safari 9 would still be supported by Dropbox. Sorry you're still having problems. If you have Chrome give it a try.

JWZ

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16
Highlighted

Re: deleting files

Super User II
Super User II
Why?

We need more info here. What is happening? Remember we cannot see over your shoulder to see what the screen does.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

OK, I'm having the same problem. I can't delete stored files. I select the individual file, click the 'delete' choice in the menu bar above my files, and...nothing happens. I've opened the deleted files folder to see if the files are there, but nope. Itr seems like the 'delete' has simply stopped working. My account says that I'm using 60% of my allocated space. The files I want to delete are audio tracks (.wav files) that range from 5 to 50 mb in size.

Any ideas on what the problem is here? This issue just started today.

JWZ

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
An update to my earlier query. It seems like none of the command buttons in the bar above my files are working any longer. I can still upload files and open them and share them with others, but I can't do anything to manage the files beyond that. Could this be a browser problem? I'm using an older version of Safari (6.1.6) on an iMac. Is Dropbox no longer supporting this version?

JWZ
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
It quite possibly is the issue I'm afraid.

Dropbox officially support 'the latest two versions' of browsers. Which OS you on? As in which version?

Could you try FireFox or Chrome?

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Yeah, it's the browser. I logged in to my account using Chrome, and everything works just fine. Guess, it's time to upgrade.

Thanks for your help.

JWZ

Highlighted

Problem deleting/renaming files

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I'm not able to use any of the command buttons either. When I click on rename or delete nothing happens.

I'm using Safari 9.1.2 on and iMac. Suggestions welcome

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
Debbie,

My issue turned out to be a browser problem. Safari 6.1.6 does not work well with the present Dropbox platform. I had no problems using Google Chrome. I'm planning to upgrade my Mac OS to Yosemite (Safari 10). Hopefully that will work. We should probably check the Dropbox site for information on system requirements. I would have thought that Safari 9 would still be supported by Dropbox. Sorry you're still having problems. If you have Chrome give it a try.

JWZ

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thank you JWZ, I found this info on system requirement for Mac users,

Mac

OS X Snow Leopard (10.6. up to macOS Sierra (10.12)

Note: Dropbox desktop app version 10.4.26 or higher is required for macOS Sierra (10.12)
Note: You may have a different experience than expected when using macOS Sierra (10.12).

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
Debbie,

Here's the Dropbox information on system requirements. From what this says, it seems like Safari 9 should work with Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/3

You may need to contact someone from Dropbox directly to get more specific help.

JWZ
Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?