Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can't join a shared folder cos I don't have enough space????

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hi 

I cannot accept a folder sharing invitation cos Dropbox tells me I don't have enough space: "You can't complete this operation because you'll run out of space". 

I just opened a new account and I have 2GB free on it, the shared folder is about 200MB. The folder is shared between 3 other guys who have got a Basic account like me(2GB) and they can all access to it. 

Can anyone help me?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Can't join a shared folder cos I don't have enough space????

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey Andrea, this is probably due to the folder being too large. Could you ask the person sharing the folder to send you a screenshot of the folder size, and post it here so we can rule this out as a blocker?

Thanks!

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14
Highlighted

Super User alumni
Super User alumni

Do you have a screenshot of the error?

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

That's what happen if I click on add. 

Highlighted

Super User alumni
Super User alumni

Then I would suggest that the shared folder is larger than you think it is, and the others have slightly larger accounts than the normal Basic account (probably by referring each other?)

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have the same problem. As you can see from the screen capture, even if the folder is double the size than appears here, I'd have enough space. What is going on?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

believe the folder size is calculated when the invite is sent out - so it may have fitted at that time, however, now it won't. 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Well that's helpful

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

However.... a second post has just appeared (see "To add this folder, you’ll need 171.22 MB of space in your Dropbox. You currently have 2 GB of spac...) which is having the same issue so it is possible theres a server issue. 

- - -

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for reporting this. I've passed it on to our team to investigate it further. I'll share updates as soon as I have it. 

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey Andrea, this is probably due to the folder being too large. Could you ask the person sharing the folder to send you a screenshot of the folder size, and post it here so we can rule this out as a blocker?

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?