cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can you help me free up space on my account?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Deleting files (lots of them, too) does not seem to be freeing up space. Is there a trigger of sort that one must use to activate the deletion?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: freeing up space

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that, @monmonier

If your Dropbox account is over your storage space quota then file syncing will stop but will resume when you bring your account under your quota again. Having said that, could you please check how much storage is being taken up by regular/shared content by navigating to your Plan tab

From there, you can see what’s taking the majority of your space and leave any shared folders that put you over quota and/or remove unwanted files or folders. You can also increase your space by earning storage

Let me know if you’re still having trouble with this and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that, @monmonier

If your Dropbox account is over your storage space quota then file syncing will stop but will resume when you bring your account under your quota again. Having said that, could you please check how much storage is being taken up by regular/shared content by navigating to your Plan tab

From there, you can see what’s taking the majority of your space and leave any shared folders that put you over quota and/or remove unwanted files or folders. You can also increase your space by earning storage

Let me know if you’re still having trouble with this and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Re: Can you help me free up space on my account?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Huhm, according to whatI know my boss taught me to invite as many people as I can to use Dropbox to upgrade the data. I think I might set up some new accounts with different names ) Each will get you 500mb for free.

Also, the old ways like syncing with facebook account or twitter maybe don't work anymore. 

Highlighted

Re: Can you help me free up space on my account?

Super User II
Super User II

@hasang333 wrote:

I think I might set up some new accounts with different names ) Each will get you 500mb for free.

And you'll likely lose that bonus space and, quite possibly, the account, for attempting to game the referral system, especially as you've announced your intent on this forum.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

My account says: Shared Files = 2.54 GB. Regular Files = 1.05 MB

I removed ALL sharing of files and now it is "Only You" on everything.

Nothing has changed...I am still over the limit in space of 2 GB. 

Why????

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @odioc; happy Friday!

If you've left all the shared folders that were putting you over your account's quota, you should be good to go.

From what I gather, there's still a shared folder taking up space on your account so could you check your account's 'Shared' tab and see if there's any folder there that you can remove from your account to make up additional space? 

Let us know what you find! 

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I went into my shared tab called Hearing Loss support Group. I found the size is 2 GB for that folder. It is shared with no one. (I have screen prints.) My only folder options are to download, share & remove. I do not want to do any of these three options. Where is the option to free up space, for example. I want to keep my folder--I certainly don't want to remove it! I don't want to download it or share it.  Since this "shared" folder is shared with no one it does not make sense that my space is at 2 GB. Please explain why. My space did not change when I removed everyone from sharing my dropbox.

NOTE: As you see previously my quota of "shared" files is above limit so that is what put me over the quota--not individual files.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me with this piece of information @odioc!

As a matter of fact, if you need to free up space on your account, you'll need to remove it since it seems that it's still considered a shared folder and those count against the quota of all the accounts that are members of them.

Let me know if this makes sense! 

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

If II remove it, all the files will be gone, as well. I don't want to remove the files...any suggestions here?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

If you want to keep those files, I'd suggest downloading them to keep a copy locally on your device(s) before you remove the shared folder that's causing your account to be over its allocated quota @odioc.

Remember, our free accounts on the Basic plan come with 2 GB of available space (quota) so you won't be able to sync more than that amount unless you make space on your account by either removing files you don't need, through referrals or upgrading your account.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions. 

Walter

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?